Psalm 4:8
"In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, LORD,
make me dwell in safety."
Have you ever watched a child fall asleep? I had ample opportunity this weekend. D-Dog seems to be going through some sort of emotional growth...or should I say regression. He has always been a great sleeper, but lately, he has had a lot of insecurity and the other night asked me to stay with him while he fell asleep. As I lay there next to him, watching his sweet face illuminated by his nightlight, I started to pray for him. I watched as he sucked his thumb and stroked his blanket. At first, his body was restless and he moved around like he was trying to find that "sweet spot" for sleep. Then, his body was still and his arm was flipping a piece of the blanket around. (yes, I got hit several times.) But, eventually,he stopped moving and snuggled up next to me. His body went still and his face relaxed, and his breathing deepened. Ahhhh, FINALLY! Now I can sneak out of his bed. (Before you judge me for being a terrible parent, I must insert that it is rare for me to stay with my kids until they fall asleep. But, stay with me, and I think you will see that, as usual, there was a lesson in it for me.)
While D-Dog was falling asleep, I couldn't help but make the comparison between his quest for sleep and my quest for rest in a weary world. How often do I use my comfort objects to try and find peace...a shopping trip for new clothes, a cart full of junk from Wal-Mart, a new TV... But these things never bring me true peace. I remain restless because these are temporary pleasures offered by a fallen world. Not until I get close to God am I able to find real peace and real rest. And, WOW! When I actually snuggle up next to the creator of the universe and acknowledge His holiness and His greatness, I am able to trust Him and find the rest that I so desire! Read that verse again, but imagine yourself leaving behind all of the "security objects" that you hold and finally drawing close to God for the peace and safety that He offers. "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for YOU ALONE, LORD, make me dwell in safety." My prayer for you, (and me) today is that we will all draw close to God and find our true peace in him. And for those of you that have told me recently that you read the blog and that God has moved your heart, I want to tell you that it has encouraged me! My only goal is to become less so God can become MORE. Hopefully you will see through my struggles and journey that the only reason anything good comes from my life is because Jesus is in it. And He wants to move in the same way in your life too. So, happy Monday everyone! Have a great week of rest. :)
Happy Monday - lovin your blog - and btw - you nailed that song on Sunday - one of my favorites!
ReplyDelete