background
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
"These Hands"
I was washing dishes last night and thinking about my poor cracked dry hands. Then I started thinking about all of the things I do with my hands. I tie shoes, I bake cookies, I clean bathrooms, I wipe away tears, I fold laundry...etc...And I started thinking of all the ways I can show God's love through the use of my hands. And of course, I ended up thinking of his precious hands nailed to the cross. The following words are ones that God put in my heart. I tend to write songs this way. But, you can read it as a poem. It is a very rough draft of something God opened my eyes to see last night. I am so thankful that He makes himself real to me every day! That's how I know that I serve a living God!
"These Hands"
-jill winslow
I hold a picture of your fragile broken body/ I see the tender skin that held the nails for me/ I think of how the hands that started life and beauty/ are the hands that hold my pain and suffering/ And though I'm sure I'll never hold so high a calling/ I know these eyes were meant to see/ a world in need of hands that could reach out/ in love and humility//These hands were made to hold the orphan child/ these hands were formed to give life to the poor/ these hands were meant to rise in praise to you, Lord/ These hands were made for more.
That's all I've got so far. But, I had to include the drawing with the post. My six year old came to sit with me while I was writing. I explained what I was thinking and what I was putting to paper. We started talking about Christ on the cross and he drew this picture for me. He walked me through the entire picture. Jesus is on the cross. The nails are in his hands and feet. The crown of thorns is on his head. The really bad guy (Roman Soldier) is standing at the bottom of the cross saying bad stuff to Jesus.
At this point, I'm feeling like I've just witnessed the beginning of ministry for the next Billy Graham. So, I paused him to ask about the item to the left of the cross. "Oh, that's the dynamite that's gonna blow them all up." Hmmmm, guess we need to go back and revisit the crucifixion story. I'll take that humble pie now. :)
Hope you are all having a great day. Try to reflect on all of the ways God uses you to show his love to others through your hands today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry, that was me posting while signed in on my library blog. Anyway, I love your words but love even more the dynamite in the picture. :)
ReplyDeleteKeep writing (songs and blog entries).