background

Monday, November 1, 2010

Adoption and candy overload

Okay, who is suffering from Halloween hangover?  We went to the town parade last night.  Wow.  We had a blast.  The kids kept commenting on how much fun they were having.  We got to see people we know on the floats and walking the parade.  And, seriously...we collected so much candy we are going to have to donate it.  I did have a "learning moment" when I was watching the four Star Wars characters that are dear to my heart.  They had their bags totally full of candy, beads, stuffed animals etc... As the night went on, I noticed that they got a little tired, and even lost interest in the candy a bit.  Don't get me wrong...D-Dog was unwrapping it faster than you can say cavity.  But, toward the end, there was quite a bit of candy on the ground around them and they were starting to sport a "whatever" attitude.  Like, they would only put forth the effort to bend over and pick it up if it was something really great.  I noticed there was a pretty large pool of tootsie rolls accumulating in front of us.  I said, "why aren't you guys picking up the tootsie rolls?"  They replied with a candy saturated sigh, "our bags are kinda full!".  This really made me think.  Is that me?  Is that how I respond to God's goodness?  Am I so saturated with the blessings in my life and the freedoms that come with living in this great Country that I don't care about the "least of these" left on the ground?  I hope you are following my analogy.  I am a creature of comfort.  I like my cup of chai in the morning and my easy life.  I don't like to be too cold or too hot.  If I have a plan for the day, of course I want to complete it.  But, what does that mean about my walk with Christ?  Is my comfort more important than His work?  I'm feeling pretty convicted about this.  I know that when we open our hands to God and say, "use me, move me, change me!" That we are opening ourselves up to the unknown.  But, with God by our side, and when we are following His Will, we don't go alone.  All I know, is that when my life is over and I am standing in front of the King, I don't want to stand before him with my bag full and hear him ask, "why did you leave the candy on the ground?"
That is why I love deeply, protect fiercely, and follow eagerly.
Yesterday, Hubby set up our "adoption account"  We have some money in there already and we are praying about ways to add to it.  I'm thinking of doing some kind of photography fundraiser...you know... I'll take some pics of your kids and charge you $25 or something like that.  If anyone has any good ideas for fundraising, let me know.  I'm excited about this part of the process because I know it is the perfect scenario for God to show up in a big way.  I'm trusting! We feel very clearly that God wants us to live as debt-free as possible.  So, we don't want to borrow any money for this.  We believe that he will provide the resources for what he has called us to do.  But, we need to be responsible and take part in raising the money.  So, let me know if you want me to clean your house, walk your dog, sing at your bar mitzvah, or babysit your child.  It is for a worthy cause!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Love you, Jill, for your enthusiasm, honesty, and "realness" (is that a word??). Over the miles sending you hugs this morning and praying God grants the desires of your heart, which I have a sneaking suspicion He placed there. :) Have a blessed day. Keep writing, I'm so encouraged by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny...I was just thinking that I need an awesome photographer, someone who doesn't mind being out there on location, so that when Daniel is home for Christmas we can have some family shots. But not studio shots. Real doing stuff shots....with natural light...YOU are perfect for this. Please photograph us!

    Blessings on your journey!

    ReplyDelete