Ok, with all of my fear issues, I would never actually stand that close to a cliff. But, hypothetically, I've jumped off quite a few cliffs of my own. Strangely, they started when I married my husband. he was always more adventurous by nature than me. If he was skiing down the mountain, I was sitting in the warm lodge drinking hot chocolate. I'm not sure if he facilitated the change in me or if God has changed me through my life experiences. Regardless, I've got a nice little list of "cliff jumping" moments.
I got married. I lived in Hong Kong. I've moved seven times in thirteen years of marriage. I gave birth to four kids. I'm still married. I got a dog. (that was actually harder than having kids.) And there have been many more private moments that have felt like jumping into the unknown. I know what it feels like to jump off a cliff. Because of my faith, I also know what it feels like to be caught in the arms of God. The commonality in all of the experiences I listed is God's Will. I prayed hard for God's Will. I don't want to live outside of it. So, I am confidently praying for God's Will in our next steps. In these moments of sheer terror and faith, we see how differently God has wired us. I find that I am running toward the cliff with my eyes closed and heart racing. Hubby, on the other hand, is packing supplies and a trusty parachute. Which way is the right way? Or is there something in-between? I think we are perfectly balanced, but I don't want that to render us paralyzed about our choices. Do we start the adoption process in blind faith, or do we wait until we've saved all the money it will require? Do we choose Asia or Africa? Do we listen to the people telling us this is a really big deal and that we should proceed cautiously? Or do we listen to the people saying, "do it now!" Do we follow our hearts or our heads? The clash between my heart and practicality roars like ocean waves in my mind. I don't know the answer to any of these questions. But, as a dear friend reminded me, God does. He already sees the outcome and He will guide us if we ask for help.
(James 1:5)
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."
Thank you for praying with us!
Avoid analysis paralysis, my friend. Just breathe. Breathe. Relax. Trust. God already knows how this is going to end. How awesome were all those cliff jumps?? You got Rod in marriage, you got me in Hong Kong (ha ha, worth it all, right?), you got Z, N, B, A for kids, you got the best dog ever! God knows your heart and will reward your faithfulness. He knows you are freaking out. He gave you Mr. Levelhead Husband for a reson.
ReplyDeleteJJ! I love you! You are the best thing I took out of Hong Kong!!
ReplyDelete