Good morning and happy Thanksgiving! As I write this, I am sitting at my parents' house smelling the delicious turkey in the oven. My children are running all over the place filled with excitement to be here. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my husband, who stayed behind yesterday to work and supervise a basketball game.
As I was lying in bed last night trying desperately to get my children to settle in for sleep, I was thinking about this day. Note to self...when the kids are already flying high about being at nana and papa's house, don't load them up on the cookies you are baking! Okay, so I had LOTS of time to think in between pleas and threats last night. :) But I was reflecting on the compound word-ish-ness of Thanksgiving. I was thinking about how easy it is for us to do the first part...well, most of us anyway. I could fill up this post with all of the things I'm thankful for. I have a wonderful family, and all the possessions I could ever want. Being thankful requires nothing. I can sit back with my tummy full of food and a smile on my face and be thankful. But, my heart wandered to the last portion of the word. To be honest, I think that is where most of us get caught up. I just want to challenge your heart and mine today. Giving requires effort. Giving requires sacrifice and it is so rewarding and difficult. Think about the way you feel when you extend yourself in some way. You are pouring yourself into someone or something. These are the things that live on and have eternal significance.
Yesterday, my old fears came back into play. After a phone conversation with a friend and about 10 minutes with my dad, I started questioning my sanity. To be fair, I have to say that my dad is amazing. If you've ever met him, you would surely agree that he is the most honest, caring man out there. There is no one in the world that will ever worry more about me than my dad. But, he is very practical. He believes in a hard days work, loving your family, and having two children max! :) He loves my kids more than anything. But, he worries about us a lot and I know that he is seriously questioning my sanity right now. So, I have to remind myself over and over that what I am doing will not make sense to the world..nor should it. Most of what Jesus did was extremely radical...He was not a "go with the flow" kind of guy. And there is a huge difference between "crazy" and "reckless" I am crazy for God, but not reckless.
So, as I reflect on the giving portion of Thanksgiving, I want to commit to be someone that follows after God when it doesn't make sense. I want to give of myself and my resources when it isn't convenient. Because I know that nothing you do in the name of Christ comes back void. Obedience comes with a price, but it also comes with a gain.
I contacted the local agency that we will work with for our homestudy. We have all of the paperwork now to start this process officially. The money train will begin the moment we click submit... I am afraid, but I have Faith. And I think God honors that fear...it shows that I understand the gravity of the request to follow after Him. I am excited and scared. I have part of my mind in the world that says, "why in the world would anyone want five kids!" and part of my mind is deep in the heart of Christ that says, "why wouldn't you save one of my kids!" Guess which one is louder...guess which one will win! :)
Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for reading. I hope you will reflect on the things you have to be grateful for as well as the many opportunities you have to give.
love to all of you out there...
jill
No comments:
Post a Comment