All of my children have their own smell. Those of you that are parents know exactly what I'm talking about. It isn't a "you need a shower" kind of smell. Just a very unique kid scent. If my eyes were closed, I could pick out all four of my children correctly. That is how well I know them. I know their smiles, laughs, and sense of humor. I can predict with almost certainty how they will react to any given situation. They are wonderful and complicated. And I wonder if that is how God sees me.
He knows every aspect of my character. He created me. I know that He could pick me out of a crowd. When He put me together, it wasn't a random recipe. It was very specific. It was intentional. But, I wonder if He gets frustrated with me. Today was a good day. I felt like I got a lot accomplished at home and I spent some really wonderful time with the kids. But, there was a discontent in my heart. I was surrounded by blessings. And yet, the doubts found their way in. Was any of it good enough? Was it acceptable? Was it enough to gain worldly approval? I don't know why my thoughts always find their way back to this ridiculous turntable. But they do.
When I put the kids to bed tonight, I thought about how much I love them. They were charming and funny today. But, they disobeyed me, they fought, and they challenged me. They are simultaneously delicate and willful. But at the end of the day, they are mine. I love them. I know them, and I still love them. So, as I end this day, I can only picture God gazing upon me and reflecting. I was charming and funny. I was disobedient and challenging. The dark clouds rolled across my heart like they passed across the sky. I questioned His will for my life and I challenged him to speak with greater clarity. I embraced him like a drowning man holds onto a raft. And I will do it all again tomorrow. But, I open the Bible and I see the words that I need. They are water for my thirsty soul...Lamentations 3:22-24 (The Message)
"God's loyal love couldn't have run out,
his merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning.
How great your faithfulness!"
He knows me...and He loves me anyway. His love never runs out. It is made new every morning. I will sleep tonight knowing that God, who created me, will be there when I wake up with new mercy, new love, and new patience. He knows me and He loves me. Because I am His! Wouldn't it be awesome to be that kind of parent!
No comments:
Post a Comment