background

Monday, December 19, 2011

This message brought to you by Scrooge...:)

Navigating traffic at the mall
A bumpy camel ride toward Bethlehem
Waiting to get the perfect gift you asked your spouse to get you
Waiting for the only gift that can secure your place in Heaven
A million lights on and around the house
A dark smelly barn and a feeding trough
Surrounded by family and friends
Surrounded by Angels
A huge debt to Visa
A debt wiped out by God
"Me, Me, Me"
"Them, Them, Them"

I've finally put my finger on the exact struggle in my heart.  There are two Christmases going on simultaneously.  One is consumer driven and all about my happiness.  The other one is swelling my heart toward greater purpose.  How do we balance them both?  How can two completely different stories reside in the same book?  Or....are we expected to refuse one and embrace the other?  Heavy thoughts for a Monday morning.  And I don't have the answers.  I really want to hear what my friends have to say.  I'm looking for feedback.  How do you, my wonderful friends, balance this?  I'm really struggling this year.

2 comments:

  1. Doug and I decided years ago to quit the cycle. We don't try to outdo ourselves every year, we stopped trading gift cards with people, we generally buy one gift a piece for our grandkids, with an occasional gift for one of the kids usually given throughout the year when they really need it. We don't try to find the perfect gift or fulfill anyone's list, either monetarily or with our time. We refuse to go into debt as we don't believe that anyone would really choose that in order to receive a gift. Our kids are grown, it makes it easier. One thing to remember is this struggle isn't about Christmas, this is your old nature (still there), struggling with your new nature. Your "poem" portrays the struggle perfectly. I don't believe you can balance them, you must push down the old.

    I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live, Jesus Christ now lives in me.

    PS: It helps that I don't like to shop! I did buy Doug a gift this year, he doesn't know, my sister bought it and its waiting all wrapped and even tagged for when he gets there. He he he - I think he'll be surprised! Its a memory foam mattress pad for his bed in Shemya...bless his heart he needs it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think from now on I will buy Nora only three presents, because Jesus only got three. I thought I was doing so good until I looked at all I had bought this year! lol

    ~L

    ReplyDelete