background

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Little Engine that Could:

This is taken from an early edition of the story, "The Little Engine that Could".

"A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill "I can't; that is too much a pull for me," said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."
As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I--think--I--can, I--think--I--can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."

First of all, I want to say thank you for the encouraging and transparent responses to the last post.  In my honest pouring out of what truly goes on inside the mind of a follower of Christ, it is easy to think that I am the only one with these hidden feelings. I will forever be grateful to those of you brave enough to share with me your own struggles with jealousy.

I'm an avoid-er!  If I sense conflict, I will run the other way.  I've admitted that before.  Well, last night, I came face to face with a situation that I would like to run from.  I know I've alluded to it before.  I have so many blog posts staring me down about adoption and God's heartbeat and all that stuff.  So, literally two hours before the tornado hit, I signed us up to volunteer at Winter Jam.  For those of you that don't know about Winter Jam, I'll tell ya.  It is a concert that has several dates all over the US.  It is sponsored by our adoption agency, Holt International. One of the goals of the night is to get sponsors for orphaned children.  The money raised offsets the costs of education, nutrition, medical care, and daily care.  Last year, we signed up as sponsors.  This year, we signed up to work.  It just felt right.  But now it feels wrong.

My heart is in a really weird place.  Daily life is so stressful.  Our kids are needier than ever before.  My husband is busier than ever before and our routine has been shattered. If my kids' teachers didn't know the situation, I'm pretty sure they would be worried that I'd become a crack addict.  Library book?  What library book?   Bringing in a special needs child from another Country sounds like the equivalent of running over myself with my own car right now.  I'm wondering how God could put a desire on my heart for over twelve years and then in the middle of the journey I could lose all faith in it.   My husband is forcing me to keep my commitment.  I will be at the sponsorship table on Friday night.  Who knows...maybe God will use the night to soften my heart.  There is an inner struggle right now.  And I am finding that for the first time in a very long time, my faith is taking effort.  It is easy to sing a song, listen to an encouraging sermon and go home to a nap and a boring Sunday.  It is infinitely more difficult to walk against the wind of doubt with hands raised, saying, "Not my will, but yours, Lord!"  I feel less like the Eagle flying over the mountains right now and more like the little engine.  "I think I can, I think I can."  The difference in my story is that bravery isn't enough to get me over the steep grade.  Only the hand of a very patient Savior will be able to achieve that.  He will have to keep pushing me ever so gently to get me to the top.  And hopefully, as I am sailing down the grade toward "home", I'll be smiling and shouting, "I knew WE could, I knew WE could."

7 comments:

  1. "I am weak but HE IS STRONG." Just REST, my friend. I wish you could switch off your brain for a day! You don't need to stress about this right now. Just rest rest rest in HIM. Relax and know that you have not made mistakes nor been wrong. You don't need to figure everything out right now either. Just REST and soak up the blessings and love HE is pouring on you. Accept the healing HE is going to give your children. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, we are also volunteering at Winter Jam! Maybe we will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is one thing in this big ol' world I am sure of, it is that we have a calling, we have been cast in our own show. I dont' want to wait for another movie, another story line. I have one...... And I know I want to make it the best one yet! :)

    You have been called, you have been cast. You have been chosen..... Make it the Best Winter Jam yet! Its part of the "Book of WInslow's". Don't skip THAT page. Don't run over that chapter to get to the end! Your daughter is a part of that book! :) Don't wish the transition away, the counseling away, the process of builing a new home away, the new friends, the new neighbors, the new...EVERYTHING away! Its part of his plan. Hard to see past these sticky pages right now, but your living your book. Don't skip through, there is amazing stuff in between those pages & a promise of eternity at the end!

    Love you!
    XOXOXO & many, many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing woman of God, you gave your heart to Him, He's got your back!!! It reminds me of a precious tiny glass teapot you brought me from your days in HK. Everytime I clean the china cabinet I carefully hold it still in my hand, admire the beauty of it when the light hits it. God's waiting to hit His lovely possesion with the light yet again. The light after the storm. You my precious daughter must lift your face to the light, keep holding His promises close and soon His light will shine upon your face & you will feel the warmth again.
    We have nothing in ourselves to withstand the "storm" but He is the same God that gave you the hunger in your heart for the adoption, the same God that held you & your family through the storm, and the same God who will bring you healing. Prayers are going up, answers are coming down, look for them everywhere!!
    He's always got your back & I'll be there for you too!! I love you my beautiful, brave, daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill~ Between you and your sweet mama, I'm in tears. I know you will get "there." It is just a matter of time - God's timing. He placed this pursuit in your heart, and He is somehow using this bump in the road to grow and shape your family for SOMEthing yet to be determined. Remember - He already knows the outcome, He already knows your little girl and what you will name her. Just take it one day at a time and find His peace. He will fill in the blanks.

    BTW - you did it again. You spoke the words of my heart when you said "special needs child." You literally took my breath away.

    Loving and praying for you and your sweet family. Ethan and Elijah love you, too!!!

    HUGS to my delicious friend!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill! Oh my...first of all, you are amazing...you sharing your heart like this is truly amazing. THANK YOU! Second, we are praying of you guys and continue...that feeling, "routine being shattered" feeling...I can relate. It has been that kind of year. My heart goes out to you. Thank you again for sharing. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill- there once was a girl I knew who had to give a speech to 3,000 people at her college commencement ceremony. Public speaking, not so fun. Especially when you are a 22 year old, naive girl who and just returned from a trip to Mexico with friends with a serious case of Montezuma's Revenge hours before the speech. Ironically in her speech she referenced "The Little Engine That Could" too. (College of Education...probably wouldn't of flown at the College of Business ceremony :) Anyways- She ended the speech with four words, and as this naive girl has turned into an eye wide open kind of gal there are two more words to add to that speech. "I know I can .... with God"
    I am here and ready to help let me know when I can come down and dig in for you! Love you- Sara

    ReplyDelete