background

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Yeah, so we would like to NOT do *that* again."

Oh yeah...That title is in quotes because it is a quote from yours truly that appeared in the hometown paper last week.  If I tried to sound like more of an idiot, I couldn't.  I think it might be payback for all of the eyewittness accounts I've made fun of in the past.  You know, when there is a crime committed in a neighborhood and the eyewitness stands in front of the camera saying something like, " I had no idea he was a murderer.  He just seemed so quiet and really kept to himself." 
The lesson I learned is that sarcasm (which is a terrible habit of mine) does not translate well to print.  It looks like I  need to take some lessons from my eloquent husband on how to interview with the paper.  He did an outstanding job.  He continues to impress me with his ability to handle this stress and deal with all the details.  I can't imagine walking this road with anyone but him by my side.  If it was even possible, through this event, he has become an even more amazing support and friend to me.  God knew what he was doing when he created marriage. 
So, here is where we're at...for all of the inquiring minds.  We spent all afternoon yesterday cleaning up the debris field that extended through three of our neighbor's yards.  Our contractor was going to get around to it at some point.  But, their grass was starting to die and we don't want to upset our neighbors.  So, several of our amazing neighbors and friends helped us remove our entire roof from where it has been sitting since Feb. 28.  When we got home, Hubby kept talking about how insane it was to see everyone working so hard.  No one would take a break.  They just kept trucking.  It was pretty awesome.  Our home has been gutted down to the studs on both the first and second floor.  The new roof is on and they are in the process of putting the shingles on.  We had them remove the wood burning fireplace.  We've decided that we don't use it enough to fix it up again.  In a way, it feels better to go into our home now than it did at the beginning.  Currently, it looks nothing like it did when we lived there.  It is becoming easier to see it as our home again as we watch the process of tearing down and building up.  It is weird to think that the home we move back into will be more beautiful than the one we lost.
I have applied this same view to my Spiritual journey.  I truly believed (before this happened) that we had a pretty good understanding of God's work in our lives.  We were learning and growing and trying to live in obedience.  But, this process has been a complete gutting of who I am.  It has made me question everything I believe.  When I was at the emergency room I had some time by myself.  Hubby had to run back to the house and grab a few things before the caution tape went up.  I was trying to reconcile the fact that since I am a Christian, I am sealed.  And everything that happens to me has passed through the filter of God.  Nothing can touch me that He doesn't allow.  It is difficult to understand why God allows us to feel pain.  I was trying to make sense of it and (as usual) figure out what He was doing in this whole mess.  But, as time has passed, I have seen so many great things.  I trust that His plan is perfect...and that He is faithful.  The hope that I am holding onto is that God trusted us to remain faithful and He knew that this event would open our eyes in a way that they haven't been open before.  He is building beauty from ashes.  He is changing us and we will be more Christlike because of it.
So, while I appreciate this journey.  My quote remains the same.  "We would like to not do that again!"
Thank you, dear friends, for the supportive comments, the prayers, food and gifts.  You have been faithful friends and have helped us keep moving forward. Please pray for our kindergartner.  He is really struggling through this more than the others.  We are beginning therapy with him this week.  Please pray that it will be helpful.
love you all!
jill

1 comment:

  1. Good analogy, sis! The cleansing process is usually an uncomfortable one...Just as your house is being rebuilt, so is the very energy of your soul. Ego is constantly demanding a preferred state of being and patience is the catalyst to enlightenment in these cases.....but you already know this. You guys have amazing spiritual tenacity which, as I've witnessed, is based more on reverence and devotion then it has ever been on diligence. Point is, there are a lot of people helping because they care about you a LOT...but mostly because you shine, and would return that love/help without a thought.
    And I'm not worried about the B-man. He's going to be fine, because of the reasons I listed above. He has a great structure to lean on. He just has to deal with this in his way.
    Much love,
    --Rick, the man in glorified greens......

    ReplyDelete