I am overwhelmed by a very strange sensation this morning. No, it isn't vicodin. I'm off of that. Despite my jokes, It isn't because of a large bottle of wine either. Although, for full disclosure, I should admit that I am eating a huge piece of Sherri Stout's ding dong cake. YUM! No. This feeling is oddly familiar...a pre-tornado feeling...
I hesitate to write it...I don't want it to go away. But, I think it feels something like...peace.
Technically, I shouldn't be feeling this today. My kids fought this morning. My neck feels like it got whacked by a ceiling. My pants still don't fit (do you think ding dong cake is bad for that?) My kids have counseling today. And I'm fielding questions from my contractor regarding placement of windows and sliders. Sorry, Mr. Contractor. You are amazing. And I know I call you Santa because you answer every question with, "We can do ANYTHING!" But, I can't even think about window placement right now. I'll just be happy with windows that are attached to the walls at this point. So, my day is clearly NOT bringing me peace. And the small victory of balancing the checkbook that has been neglected since January isn't enough to evoke this feeling. The only explanation for this feeling is prayer. There is a common denominator in every conversation I've had lately. "I'm praying for you." That is the phrase I hear most often.
Confession:
I pray. Every day. But, I don't know if I ever realized how powerful it is. I've been guilty of saying, "oh, i'll pray for you." and then sending up a quick prayer and forgetting about it two minutes later. For those times, I am genuinely sorry. I didn't realize the power I held in my heart to stand up for someone's situation and go before God to petition for help. This experience has shown me that God does hear our prayers. I will forever be thankful to those of you that have lifted up our family in prayer. I know that is what's responsible for this wonderful feeling of peace in the middle of stormy waters. I am making a commitment to pray with more urgency...to pray with more resolve...
Here is my first prayer. It is for all of you, reading this. It is taken from Ephesians 3. May God bless you with peace today. And may He continue to give us grace...since I'm sure I'll need it tomorrow when I'm begging for peace again. :)
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I'm learning the same thing Jill. Prayer is the most powerful tool that we have.
ReplyDeleteI want you to know that God wants you to have peace. It's ok! And I pray it doesn't go away. He brings peace to our storms.
I am the Lord, who opened a way through the waters, making a dry path through the sea.
(Isaiah 43:16 - New Living Translation)
Love you and praying for you!
"AMEN!"
ReplyDelete