background

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Sweet B is 7!!

I took this picture when he was almost three years old.  My how time has flown.  As I tucked him in tonight, I kissed his sweet cheek and dove in toward his soft delicious neck to smell the scent that belongs to him alone.  I said, "I can't believe this is the last time I'll tuck you in as a six-year-old."  I held back tears.  His childhood feels like it is flying past me like a high-speed train.  I want to reach out and stop it.  And I want to give it the freedom to go.  Being a mom means holding a thousand emotions in your heart at the same time.  This little guy is my tender-hearted one.  He asks the most insightful questions and he deeply cares about everything and everyone.  He loves the hardest and he hurts the deepest when his heart is broken.  He has maintained his loyalty to the aisle of marriage with a girl he fell in love with at the age of two, and hasn't seen for three years.  But, they exchange coloring sheets and sticks of gum through the mail.  His heart belongs to her...what loyalty this is.  Just ask him.  He will tell you with all the confidence of a man about to propose...the name of the betrothed never changes.  Let's just hope she feels the same way...in twenty years. :)
My solace for the night is this:  While I grieve the closing of another chapter of his life, he will wake up tomorrow morning with the same smile, the same hugs, the same kisses and the same heart.  He will climb into my bed and ask me what's for breakfast and he will drive me crazy for his presents.  And I will treasure him...and his seven-ness.  Until the night I tuck him in on his last night of that year too...and tell my heart that the numbers might change, but the heart of my child will remain the same.
Happy Birthday, B!  It is one of the biggest blessings of my life to be your mom!

3 comments:

  1. this is wonderful. Happy Birthday to your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to my special little guy!! Thank you dear daughter (& son-in-law) for giving me four beautiful grandsons! God has blessed our lives greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read too late and missed this yesterday. Please tell the birthday boy Boom and Nessa have more presents for him...we'll see you all tomorrow!!!!

    -B's Uncle Boom

    ReplyDelete