"I will never leave you or forsake you" - God
This morning I ran from this scripture. I rejected it. I took up residence in the land of depression...and I was prepared for a lengthy stay. I had a comfy pillow for the hours of sleep, new wardrobe plans for the body I would achieve by giving up food and a completely busted heart. I felt abandoned after the tornado...this was worse.
I tried so hard to keep my mind open to this different culture and the possibility of
rejection. But, let's be honest...I am sick of being stared at like an alien, and I didn't really plan for rejection. I understand that my daughter (whom I begged Rod to give back this morning) has been through extreme trauma...but my heart is screaming...what about me? I know..super mature, but that is my struggle. I am the fool that keeps expecting the fairy tale and can never be satisfied with reality. And when reality is delivered with a dose of pain and suffering, I am ready to bolt on my faith. I am disappointed in the way this story has played out, but I'm even more disappointed in my reaction. Perhaps if I could get it right the first time' I could quit getting schooled.
Today, we took baby steps. I am convinced that the only reason I'm still in the game and not benched is because so many of you have been praying for me. I convinced Rodney to leave for an hour and give all of Esther's care to me. She started wailing as soon as she realized she could not have her beloved baba. "fake it til you make it" became my motto through clenched teeth. I gave her a snack, which surprisingly, she ate. Then she laid down on the couch as if to say, I don't really care that you're here. So, I pulled out the coloring book and started to meticulously color smurfette. She continued to roll around on the couch pretending to ignore me. But then something miraculous happened. If you were to blink, you would have missed it. But she sat up, looked at me and picked up a crayon to color with me. Then, before I could say, this is what I needed today, she was tradinge crayons with me. We stayed there for a while...me playing...her watching. Finally, I asked her if she would like to go to the store with me. All she caught was bye bye, but she was in. We took our first mother daughter shopping trip to a store where I could communicate with no one. We bought something in a bottle that is supposed to take care of our mosquito bites and some very bright nail polish for the day when she will someday trust me enough to paint her toenails. I bought us a treat from the bakery and a really Yummy mango smoothie. We shared it. It was short, but sweet time. As we entered into the hotel, her demeanor changed. She began whimpering and asking for daddy. I think coming back to the hotel is too much of a trigger for her. I can't wait to leave this place. Later, I pulled up talking Tom on the iPad and she actually gave me a smile and a laugh. When she got tired, she was finished with me and only wanted daddy again. If I measure the progress in adoption days, this is good. It isnt perfect, but it is progress. She may completely reject me again tomorrow...but I had today...and I'll hang onto that for now.
I think this is the human condition...to never want to let go of the old. That is what keeps people addicted to pornography, alcohol, drugs, etc... We keep looking back. As I work diligently to earn my daughter's love and pull her attention away from "the old life" and toward a fuller life, I am reminded of my own relationship with Christ. Today, I hit a wall and took the fast train to my faithless life. I am ashamed of that...and the things I actually thought today. But God is real, and God is the original adoptive father. He will continue to remind me of the new life I have and grow my faith in him. I will never be perfect, but, my adoption will never be reversed. And so, with this example, I will forge ahead in this adoption and hopefully someday, look back on this very long night and realize that as a dear friend shared, "joy really does come in the morning."
Thank you for your faithful a prayers, friends!
Huge progress, Jill!!! She will be clinging to you like crazy when you get home. You will be her familiar, her safety. And Smurfette, really?? Come on! Let's get moving on princesses. I am really annoyed by the way that you can't post pictures!!! Does she still have a buzz cut?
ReplyDeleteAnd, Jill, if you tear away all your rejection and emotions, wouldn't you say you would love for her to bond with her daddy? What is this doing to Rod's heart, to have his daughter adore him?
I have to agree with JJ...huge progress Jill. I prayed LOTS for you yesterday when we got off skype that God would show Himself to you in real and tangible ways and that you would be able to slowly but surely see that though it may take lots of time, Esther will in fact come around. Everyone's adoption story is different, but she is worth it. Hoping you keep getting glimpses of God's hand at work in your lives and in Esther's. Miss you..love you!
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, sis, children are more observant to base emotional states then grown-ups and all of their conscious filters from years served in humanity.
ReplyDeleteThat said, and knowing you as I do, she probably just senses the state of your own confidence level. We are cut from the same stock....we both worry, mostly about things we have no control over. We also wear our hearts on our sleeves. "E" is probably just sensing a bit of trepidation from you. And "R" is the most relaxed and laid back guy I know......so, yeah, this is actually making a lot of sense.
:)
Just give it time...and let any doubt or fear pass by you...Your mothering of this child will happen over years...not in a week.
Love you! Hopefully we can chat this week. We'll be at the house tonight to help take care of the boys.
Boom!
In your own words sweet friend, "When you look over your life and think of the ways you are contributing to the kingdom of God, you must add this to your list. Esther has become your family. She has become your story of redemption. She has a family and a future because of YOU!
ReplyDeleteMay God bless your day with peace and "whatever may pass, and whatever lies before you...May you be singing when the evening comes."
All my love!
I almost jumped from my wheelchair and did a jig! Hang onto those precious moments of today. I'm sure there will be many many more tears, but I think your time w/ her today is huge! Jill, I always worry about bonding w/ my daughter- and she's my flesh and blood! But I am very limited in my physical ability to care for her. I can't pick her up when she cries or wants to be carried. I can't feed her, dress her, bathe her...you know. But I still have bonded w/ her in other ways. She loves music and I sing to her constantly. I talk to her all the time--even if others are holding her. Your relationship w/ Esther is so unique and special. No one can take that away. My best times w/ Grace are when I'm alone in a room w/ her. I can't ever be truly alone w/ her in case something happens, so I usually can call through a baby monitor, but we have time everyday that's just the two of us. It's great. :) We sing and dance (yes, I dance by wiggling my shoulders) and make silly faces and do stories and snuggle. I'm very protective of this time b/c I want her to know that I AM her mom... not her Auntie or Dad... but her MOM. Anyway, all that to say, I think I understand the hurt of rejection and how 'left out' you might feel. Take it a day at a time. When you get home...that will be the best homecoming ever. It makes me all weepy to think of it. Take a deep breath, mama. You're on the adventure of a lifetime!
ReplyDeleteJill,
ReplyDeleteThis is rebecca c. from troy il who has been home with her little man from china for almost three months...
to add some light/humor.... nicholas did connect with both of us while we were in China. However, he did like his Daddy! AND with that being said, it was nice he wanted Daddy on that long, long crying, miserable, non-sleeping 26-hour journey home rather than Mommy! He was such a handful and it would have been tough for me to handle. since i went to korea to bring joseph home and he bonded to me first, it was nice to see nicholas in china bonding with his dad. hang in there. the time does go quickly and you'll be home before you know it and i hope nicholas and esther will meet some day!
Praying for you. I have a friend who has adopted twice from Korea. I am sending you her blog link. You may already know of her. She had some rough times with her last son. Some of her older blogs may give you some insight and peace. Hang tough. Trust in our God. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://flowerpatchfarmgirl.blogspot.com/