background

Monday, August 13, 2012

Whatever lies before me...

I was up for music last weekend at church. We sang one of my favorite songs. "10,000 reasons"  As we were singing, it hit me hard that I want the lyrics of the song to penetrate my heart and take over my soul.
"The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes"


I could barely get through it without crying!  I know God is good!  I've seen it!  But, I've also seen the difficult side of following Christ.  It isn't always rainbows and unicorns.  I think the lyrics are such a true testament of what our hearts desire...but we can't achieve on our own.  No matter what the day holds, we want to STILL sing "his song" by the end of the day.  We don't want to lose our faith.

I have a unique opportunity to see the many faces of faith as I sing.  Last weekend, my eyes passed over friends that are battling cancer, have very sick loved ones, fight alcoholism, struggle with homosexuality, battle tension in marriage, have children that have walked away from God.  

As my eyes carefully passed over each person,  I was reminded that in this sinful world, we all have struggles.  We are so dependent on God for every breath!  But, we have the amazing opportunity to encourage each other on the road!

I felt compelled to ask my friends on Facebook to share their favorite scriptures with me.  I know that the only way I'll keep singing "His song" is if I allow Him to talk to me through scripture.  And I'm going to be honest.  That is a struggle for me.  I want to tell you all that I read my Bible every day.  But,  if I take off my cheesy Christian mask...you'll see that I don't.  You'll see that I read People magazine, more than I read the words of the creator of the universe.  You'll hear me give book recommendations for best sellers, and not include the Bible.  I want to change that.  But, I was afraid that if I took my Bible with me to Ch-na with the expectation of reading it...I wouldn't.  So, a God-inspired idea formed. Ask friends for their favorite verses and compile a little book of God's words.  And I have to admit, I have been BLESSED by it!  I love reading the verses and contemplating the people that sent them to me.  I am taking such a treasure overseas and I'll be taking a bit of them with me!  It has had the unexpected benefit of making me feel closer to each contributor.  I will always treasure this book of scripture! :)  If you would like to add yours to the book, you have plenty of time.  Just leave it on the comment section!  And thank you, to everyone that has taken time out of their busy lives to pray for this journey and encourage us!  This is your adoption too!  When you look over your life and think of the ways you are contributing to the kingdom of God, you must add this to your list.  Esther has become your family.  She has become your story of redemption.  She has a family and a future because of YOU!  
May God bless your day with peace and "whatever may pass, and whatever lies before you...May you be singing when the evening comes."
All my love!



4 comments:

  1. I love how honest you are. <3
    I don't know if you have these yet, but here are a few I always close by to read...

    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light. Ephesians 5:8

    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
    Psalms 18:2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love how honest you are and I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your request with scripture because I actually haven't found my cheesy Christian mask yet? I stumble across what I THINK may be that mask from time to time, and often times wonder what it would be like to wear it....but then...something hits me and it infurates me that it's just that....a mask. I'm an all or nothin' kinda gal and organized religion has always been such a gray area for me that I shy away.

    Anyway....enough of my struggles....I love you and love reading what you write. I do pray (just not inside of a certain church), and I pray for safe travels and an easy transistion for Essie upon your return.

    I'll be thinking of you all....can't wait to meet her when you all get back and get settled in. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil 4:8 ...whatever is pure whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, do you know how many times I've taken my travel sized Bible with me on trips and never even taken it out of my suitcase? I come home and unpack and feel guilty when I pull it out and wonder why I even took it. Your book of scripture idea is great and will be an encouraging condensation of nuggets of truth for much longer than just this trip!

    ReplyDelete