Moving on...
I had been feeling pretty unsettled about traveling for the adoption. Secretly (or not) I am slightly relieved to have more time to pack and prepare. But, part of the preparation is with my kids. I know I'll never feel like I've spent "enough" time with them before this life changing event. But, I need to have peace that I've tried. One of the most amazing things happened last week. I loaded my four kids into the mini-van and we took a road trip. Huge thanks go out to my hubby for his support and encouragement to go. We left on Monday afternoon and arrived in the Chicago area to stay with my very best friend in the world. We have been friends for YEARS! (even though we're only 25!) and our kids have been friends since they were babies. (yes...we forced the friendship at first)
We had a full week of laughter...the kind where you pee your pants a little.
My kids had a blast. We did the jelly belly tour, saw our old house, went tubing on our friends' boat, and more...
I got to sleep two nights with B and two nights with D-Dog. We had massive snuggle time and don't even get me started on our actual road trip. They were so much fun. They were great during the five hour trip there and five hours back. We ate junk food and sang way too loud along with the radio. He'll completely deny it, but D-Dog can sing every word to "Call me Maybe".
It was FUN! And I felt like I really had the chance to enjoy my kids in a place that hold so many wonderful memories...with people that will forever own a piece of my heart.
Another fantastic element of the trip was connecting with another very close friend. I am so incredibly blessed to have women in my life both there and here that inspire me! Our kids picked up and played together as though they'd never been apart. Although, B experienced his first broken heart as the love of his life (he's been loyally proclaiming his love) informed him that she couldn't be his girlfriend. So sad. But, love that I was there to walk him through his first rejection. :( He's doing better now and he has sworn off dating for a while. Good idea since he's only 8!
Basically, this trip was exactly what we all needed. (Except for hubby...who was stuck at home working the whole week). Everyone needs a place where they can recharge their batteries. This will always be "my place"!
One of my favorite moments of the trip, though, involved my friend Kerri's 11 year old daughter. Kerri and I were talking about the upcoming adoption and she was asking me how I was feeling. I told her that the reality was settling in that I was about to become the mom of FIVE children. I'm a little nervous about being able to be a good mom to all of those little lives. As I shared my concerns and worries about our expanding family, Kerri's daughter looked at me, smiled and said, "ehhhh, Four is For Quitters!" It hit me in a funny way and I still can't stop laughing when I remember it. Yes. In this family, "four is for quitters." And I'm no quitter! So, I'll pack my bags, kiss my children, and take a plane half a globe away to give the beautiful gift of family to a sweet little girl.
Enjoy a few pics from the week. :)
| Free Jelly Bellies with every tour! |
| the "quitter" comment came from the silly girl on the left! |
| My beautiful friend, Kerri! |
| LOVE these girls!!!!! |
| A tree full of amazing kids! |
| My dear friend, Jenny! |
| The girl B has loved for years... |
You are a fantastic mother...regardless of how many are yours...because you're a wonderful person. Glad to see you had such a great time and I'm gonna take a teeny tiny that Rod enjoyed his week home alone...just a little bit though ;)
ReplyDeleteOops...take a guess...geesh leaving words out can be bad ;)
ReplyDeleteI wondered where you were!! :) Sounds like a fantastic trip! Aren't boys fun (!?!) Mine crack me up. I remember worrying so much about adding another child (even with the bios) and then once the child was here I couldn't imagine the child not being part of our family. With our 1st adopted daughter....cannot even imagine not having her. Right now....cannot FATHOM adding a second adopted daughter (eek!) But...I am thinking that this will be like all the other times! Our God equips us....right!? :) I know I will be saying....what did we ever do without her!?!? I believe you all will be saying the same thing very, very soon!!! :)
ReplyDelete