While many of you were sitting poolside or lounging at a backyard BBQ, I was doing something entirely different. I was alone at my almost reconstructed house with my carpet cleaner. While burgers were frying all around the US, I was having a US sized pity party in my basement as I worked and scrubbed to get my own blood out of the carpet After the tornado, we all ended up in the basement. I would learn later that in my hysterical and injured state that even though all my kids were present, I kept screaming, where are my kids? Are they dead? Uhhhh, we'll take therapy for four, please! What an awful night. I won't lie. I know you're sick of hearing it and I'm sick of saying it. But, that night is three months ago for you. It is one thought away for me...always.
Yesterday I was on a mission. See, the rest of my house has been beautifully rebuilt. It looks entirely different and new. But, every time we walk to the basement, I am hit in the face again with the visual reminder of my injury. It was way past time to get that carpet cleaned. Maybe I thought that if I got the blood out, that it would erase that night...it did not. Now, I just look at the space where the blood "used to be" and remember.
In the middle of my BLAH, I was contemplating the purpose in pain. Is there any? Is pain meant to grow us? Or is it just pain? I have a friend that will wake up tomorrow morning remembering the nightmare of three years ago when she found that her six year old child had gone to be with Jesus. How she even continues to walk past that room, I will never understand. She is strong. Is there purpose in her pain?
I have a dear friend that, despite my annoying state of blah, has been a great reminder of God's purpose in my life. She has challenged me to keep moving forward and to take care of myself. I called her last night and after I put my scrub brush down, I went to pick her up and we escaped to a movie. Ahhhh, what a wonderful escape. Even though she showed up looking annoyingly beautiful and I looked like...well, a girl that just scrubbed her basement carpet. She challenged me to make some changes in my daily life. One of those changes is to spend more time in the word of God. That has gotten lost a bit in this whole mess. But, I know the answers to my questions are found in God's true and simple words. Here is what He has spoken to me about this topic today.
2 Corinthians 4: 7-10
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
That's it! We experience pain to remind us that this world is not our home. This scratch on the line of eternity is so fleeting. As we walk the road of junk, we are reminded of what Jesus has freed us from. Because one day, there will be no more pain...no more sorrow. One day, we will be with Jesus in eternity. In my pain, I draw close to Him and let him remind me that He walks the painful road with me and keeps my eyes focused on Him, his hope, his promises. If you don't have this hope, please pray and ask God to give it to you. When Christ is in your life, you will still have pain...but you will be carried through it by the one that has defeated death and pain for good. And that is the truth! No crap! :) Happy Memorial Day. I'm off to clean out some pods in my driveway. :) If you're in the neighborhood and you have an overwhelming desire to drop off a burger, I won't stop you!
Praying for you. I know there is healing in his word. I have found it there many times. You are so right, one day we will leave this fallen world and all will be perfect in our true home.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why we didn't both have a pity party TOGETHER in your basement. But a carpet cleaner, and a few glasses of wine sounds kinda like a fun time! :) We could of danced with the carpet cleaner while jamming to "Jessie's Girl"! hahaha!
ReplyDeleteBTW; TRUTH! When we can't find perspective.....God is forced to knock over the head with ceiling beams! Just sayin'..... ;)
You know I'm teasing ya...well, kinda! lol
Lovin' you! And so happy that your coming HOME!
My precious daughter, as much as I love you God loves you even more. His love for us is more than any difficulty that we go through. The pain is great but His love is greater. Never forget that we don't have to reach our hands up very far at all to touch the hand of the one who comforts and holds us. My prayer is that He will show me what you need even if you don't know yourself. I am yours every weekend now until we move you into your beautiful new home. A celebration that will only be surpassed by our welcome into our eternal home.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I see your pain I am taken back to the time when you walked through the hotel door looking broken & bruised. I hugged you and sent a prayer upward of thanksgiving. God had spared you, you were in my arms again for real. UMMM--I wonder if that is what God felt when his son passed the test, went through his pain, and walked through the "gate". Please remember God knows your pain, He knows the purpose of your pain, and He alone knows why. Please also remember:
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
"But pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." --C.S. Lewis
ReplyDelete"If you suffer, thank God! -- it is a sure sign that you are alive." --Elbert Hubbard
"Blessings alone do not open our eyes. Indeed, blessings by themselves tend to close our eyes. We do not come to know Him in the blessing, but in the breaking." --Chip Brogden
"The world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it." --Helen Keller
"In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world." --Jesus Christ
Love ya, J-bean
-Boom
Ms. Jackie, you made me cry like a baby! :) Jill, I'm thinking you have one of the VERY best momma's around!
ReplyDeleteI should never be amazed at his love for us. His sacrifice for us....but I continually am.