Yeah, the crazy chic with the head laceration is talking about the tornado again. Geez, why doesn't she find a new topic? :) My mother in law came to watch the kids today so Hubby and I could go and paint doorframes. Yeah, that's how we roll. That brings the running total of totally lame dates with the Husband up to a whopping three. Graduation date is tomorrow... :) But, oh how I love that man. If he pronounces any names wrong or forgets to stand in the right spot, I hope everyone is gracious. He is really over-preparing for this day. He cares so much about the students and what they've achieved. I love how much he cares about his job. But, I do not love that our only free time is spent trying to fix up our stupid house. I now refer to the tornado as the gift that keeps on giving. It seems the stress and anxiety is never over. The house is insanely beautiful. We have gorgeous floors, new paint and, yeah, a new roof. We are getting mixed reviews from the kids about moving home. Some are really excited and some are VERY apprehensive. I'm a little worried that all of the progress we've made in therapy will be lost when we move home. I hope I'm wrong.
So, I was at the house today thinking about how lovely it is. It really is my dream home now. I never in a million years thought I would live in a new home. But, this is essentially a new home. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I actually feel conflicted about living there. I love it. But I don't want to need it. I was content with my old house. Now, I feel like I am constantly being sucked into the land of new and beautiful and I don't want to forget the dream for the lonely and orphaned. But, the best thing in the world happened to me today. We have taken the kids with us almost every time we've been back to the house. We wanted them to feel like they were part of the journey of restoration and we wanted them to build that sense of home again. Today, as I was walking up the stairs to paint, I was thinking about how all of it could be gone again in mere seconds. And I vowed to never love the house more than I love people. I want my home to be filled with friends and family and strangers and I never want to worry that someone might crack a tile or scratch the floor. It is merely a beautiful place to share. I want it to be filled with kids and laughter and fun and............
apparently boogers. Cause that's what I found on my freshly painted wall. I guess the last time we had the kids at the house, one of them must have wiped their boogers on the wall. Oh yes. You might be gagging in your mouth right now, but it was the greatest thing for me to see. Yes, it is a beautiful house...but it is just a house...with boogers.
So, the real gift that keeps on giving is not the tornado. It is my family. It is the husband that works until exhaustion and the kids that keep it real. And of course, the Savior that keeps all things in perspective and loves me despite my MANY imperfections!
Here is my wish for you. May your lives be filled with perspective and may your homes be filled with boogers!
night all!
jill
Oh, I can always count on you for a great laugh, my friend! LOL!!! I love you for that! You guys are making huge strides.... your home is beautiful and your heart is amazing! I sound like a really bad broken record, but I can't wait for you to be home! & Baby, my house is filled with booger! Seriously, there are not enough lyson wipes in the world to conquer this crazy place. ;) Counting my blessings...each and every booger! Did I just say that?!?!?!!
ReplyDeleteAs you know, we don't have kids yet. We only have cats. One with upper respiratory issues. He sneezes constantly. So while we don't have buggers, we do have lots of snot around. Does that count? :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously: At some point in time, most of us have to learn the "stuff is just stuff that can be destroyed" lesson. I think you've owned the lesson well, sis. It's not an easy one, because you feel there has been a violation of what some consider "home". But you know your house isn't your home. Your home consists of the soul group around you: God, your kids....your husband.....your parents, your supper cool and exceedingly dapper brother. ;)
I'm proud of you. I'm proud of the very energy you exude. You shine, and not only for the sake of your family (or "home"), but for your readers as well. You can complain about your usage of "tornado talk" in your blog, but that's a great outlet....and I don't think it's hurt your subscriber count. We all come here daily, for a reason...we are inspired because of the importance and respect you place on owning EVERY lesson you face.
Love you!!!
-Boom
That was supposed to be SUPER cool. I didn't mean to say I was cool like a meal.
ReplyDeleteSorry, the internets. I will take my fail for the day. I lose 50 dinner-cool points for spelling.
-Boom