What is a post about sex doing on an adoption blog? Well, since the adoption is on hold until we can get back home and I welcome the chance to talk about non-tornado stuff...we land on sex. As a disclaimer...I do not condone pre-marital sex, or intimacy with anyone that does not respect their spouse. So, this post is assuming you are in a healthy, loving and safe marriage.
This morning I had an ah-ha moment about my husband that would probably apply to most men. My dear friend and neighbor sent me a text at 8:50am telling me that she picked up a diet dr pepper for me. She asked if I was home and said she would drop it by. I responded with my undying love and the slightly excited "YEEEEEEESSSSSSS! I'm here!" I am OBSESSED with diet dr. pepper. The lady at drive-thru today said, "wow, you come through here every day!" Me thinks its time for a better disguise...ARRRR! When I received the text, I was sitting on the couch watching D-Dog build his fort with all of our blankets. He was showing off the design and I was drinking chai. As soon as I got the message, though, I started thinking about the diet soda goodness that was coming my way. I became consumed with it. I whipped through the house in a cleaning frenzy. I could almost taste the sting and the bubbles in my throat. "Where is she?" I started to wonder as the minutes passed. When two hours had gone by and I still hadn't heard from her, I started to fear the worst. She has been kidnapped. Word got out that she can make a mean taco and she is now a taco slave in a foreign Country. Meanwhile, I'm becoming desperate for this diet drink. It is all I can think about as I go throughout my morning routine. Darn it! If she hadn't offered it, I wouldn't even be thinking about it! Now I'm going to have to go out and get a diet dr pepper because water WILL. NOT. SATISFY!
So, before you start thinking my friend is a serious slacker...(by the way, that word could NEVER be applied to her) she never received my return text. She put my icy goodness in her fridge and assumed she'd hear from me at some point. (yes. I'm actually drinking it now.) But, this gave me a real window into the world of men as well as my obvious addiction to artificial sweetener and carbonation.
I have been guilty of putting an offer out to my husband right before he leaves for work and then reneging on it by bedtime. I feel completely justified because I've had a crazy day. I can find a million excuses not to fulfill my promise. And now, I wonder if he feels frustrated when I do that. He is an amazing and loving husband. He would never complain. But, if he felt some of what I felt during my dr. pepper letdown, it must be frustrating! I've been guilty of throwing out a quick offer just to get some attention in the moment. You know how that goes..."pay attention to me...I've got something you want!" I'm going to try a lot harder not to play games...especially with intimacy. If I offer, (and no one is throwing up, bleeding because they need stitches, or running from a tornado) I should be excited to deliver! Anticipation is a huge part of intimacy for husbands. Allow me to encourage you to do the same in your marriages. It really is an amazing gift of this otherwise stressed out union. I think that our intimacy has held us a little closer through the aftermath of tragedy. So, here is your homework assignment for tonight. (and I hope I don't get kicked off of the music ministry for saying this...) But, JUST DO IT! :) And thank God that you have the opportunity to share something with your spouse that no one else gets to share! :)
Just don't report back. That would be too weird...even for me! :)
Love to you all!
Awesome post Jill! This is very true and relatable. How I feel in the moment is not always how I feel at the end of the day unfortunatly. Keep blogging, I love reading these!! :):):)
ReplyDeleteREPORTING BACK*
ReplyDeleteI failed to turn in my homework on time, Mrs. Winslow! Detention please at the nearest spa, or maybe the nearest luxury hotel? I'd even settle for mental hospital at this time! :) These days, a 10 min conversation seems impossible. Null. Void. How will we ever get through THAT homework assignment?!
And the family thinks I'm the one that didn't take the "don't do drugs" dog seriously?!! Jill, you have an addiction! Diet Dr. Pepper is horrible for you! At least you still drink it and don't synthesize it for it's essential chemicals. If I ever see you nonchalantly tap the end of a syringe and/or wrap a proper tourniquet.....we're going to have words, you and I!! Ok, maybe not if it's just the tourniquet. I'm pretty sure my nephews have required this knowledge. So if you nonchalantly wrap one with one hand....then the above applies.
ReplyDeleteRick the MIGG