Have you ever noticed how many times we assign attributes to God? He is healer, comforter, provider, etc...
Yes! He is all of those things...but He is so much more. I worry that sometimes I limit who He is with my tiny little mind and my half-hearted praise.
Exodus 3:11-15
But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.”
Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’
“This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.
When I read through these verses this morning, I felt convicted that I have not revered God the way I should. Hear this confession and stand back in case lighting strikes...I like to micromanage God. I know...so very brave of me. I like to assign attributes of His character that fit where I'm at at the moment. When I really need His comfort, He is the God of comfort. But, when I do this, I'm afraid I miss the very core of who He is. I AM WHO I AM! To me, that means God is everything all the time. No matter what situation I find myself in, God is always God. He brings comfort, healing, love, judgement, strength, and His perfect plan all at once. I am trying very hard lately to remember that God is so much bigger than my brain can hold. He cannot be managed by me. My heart is breaking right now for friends. I have friends that are walking through the grief of losing loved ones and friends that are walking through illness. When I lift up my prayers for them, I need to remember that God is I AM. He holds all of us in his arms and if we are His children and have given our lives to Him, we have nothing to fear. We have nothing to lose hope over.
Today, as we think of what we "need" from God, let us also remember that He is so much more than what we can comprehend. He is working out the salvation of the children he desperately loves and we get to be part of His story. Have hope, friends. If you are walking through the darkness, remember who is holding your hand. We may be surprised by life, but nothing catches Him off guard. Climb up on the lap of I AM and let him be all that He is to you today!
No comments:
Post a Comment