background

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always...




For a few minutes, I was afraid I'd never see this smile again!  For several terrifying moments, I feared the worst.  But the worst did not happen.  This picture was taken (photo cred to my dear friend, Erin) during Noodle's field trip.  It was wonderful.  I got one on one time with my second-born child.  Noodle is such a gentle giant.  Unless provoked by brothers, he really is a sweet guy.  He is twice the size of a normal nine year old and he has mad athletic skills.  He eats like a horse and he still sleeps with his blankies.  I have been in love with him since the first second I laid eyes on him.  He has this amazing way of being a mama's boy and still maintaining his cool factor.  I don't know how he does it.  Reflecting on the craziness of the past two months, I viewed this field trip day as a gift.  Isn't every moment that we get to spend with our loved ones a gift?  I know there are many people living in St. Louis and the South today that would echo my sentiments that in a split second...everything can change. 
So, when he reached out to hold my hand as we walked toward the baseball Stadium,  I took a sweet breath in and embraced that moment.  When he grabbed my phone to take a picture of the bathroom where Albert Pujols pees before the game, I laughed...out loud! 
I will forever be sad that my children witnessed something so terrible.  But, I will forever be grateful that I can still hold them, laugh with them, and go on field trips with them.  On the way home from the trip, Noodle sat in front of me on the bus and I shuffled in the seat behind him next to a mom I hadn't met before.  Noodle was peeking around the seat talking to me and laughing.  She asked me how many kids I had.  "Four", I replied.  "Well, five...actually.  We're adopting."  "Oh.  I am so glad there are people like you out there.  I can't stand kids."  she said.  Yeah... I know...too bad for her kids, right?  She went on for the rest of the ride home telling me about her career goals and how important her education was.  She was very important in her own mind.  I applaud her for knowing what she wants and going after it.  The world needs people like her!  I just felt bad that she obviously didn't enjoy being a mom.  As we hopped off the bus after a whirlwind tour, Noodle threw his arms around me in that casual and easy way that he does and I held on tight.  God has shown me how amazingly blessed I am.  He has given me perspective and he has put me in a life I love.  It is not always easy.  But, it is blessed.  And I have a picture on my phone of the Cardinal team bathroom...does it get any better than that?  :)
Now, go hug your spouse and thank God that you have them.  Squeeze your kids and let them know that they are one of the greatest treasures on Earth and take a couple of minutes to thank God that he loves you forever and likes you for always!

5 comments:

  1. I will do so! Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an awesome MOM! I love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill for sharing your life and journey with us through your blog. I need to know how to set up a blog! There is so much I can't share on fb because my sons have fb accounts. I appreciate the everyday moments with my sons. I am thankful each day for my time with them. I think about you often Jill and pray for you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean you want me to hug him again...ok, if I have to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Nate is still such a sweetie. And really Jill, TWICE the size of a normal 9-yr-old?????

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete