background

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter

  "There is a time for everything,
   and a season for every activity under the heavens" (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

From where I sit, everything is deep in its Winter slumber.  The grass is brown, the trees are empty, the sky is gray, and my neighbor and I have talked regularly, but haven't seen each other since November. :)  My car is covered in a layer of salt, my furnace is pumping, and I have no desire to walk my dog.  I can feel myself falling into sloth territory quickly!  And I know I'm not the only one.  I've been amazed at how many people are keeping count of how many days until Spring.  I am right there with them.  I despise Winter.  Aside from the Hong Kong days, I've always lived in an area with four seasons.  And January, despite what the calendar shows, really lasts for 100 days.  It is the month that NEVER ends.  There is a reason that people leave this depressed area and head South during this time.  Everyone needs a taste of sunshine...of warmth.  I remember when I was growing up, thinking, "Why in the world does anyone live here?" " Why would anyone choose this?" If I had my way, I'd live in a tropical climate! But while I have not grown to love this area, I have grown to appreciate it and the perspective it offers.  When I lived in Hong Kong, I missed the seasons desperately.  It felt weird to go from HOT to cool, and back to HOT.  Think about the anticipation that comes during the long Winter months.  We want Spring so badly, that many of us that would have frozen in a pair of shorts in the Fall, will pull out our shorts and flip flops way sooner than we should.  We long for the sun to warm our face and the gentle warm breeze to blow through our windows.  In the Spring, everything comes bursting to life.  It is all made new again.  We all come out of hibernation, we try to lose the extra weight we put on eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate.  But, would Spring really be as magical if we didn't have to endure Winter?  Would we take it for granted if we had it all the time?  I feel like my spiritual life goes through seasons too.  When I am in the Winter of my walk with Christ, I am living with anticipation of what He will do in the Spring.  But, the Winter is not wasted time.  It is necessary.  It is part of the cycle of my faith.  It is the resting period that comes before great growth.  It may not follow the calendar, but it is very real. Before I am able to go out and accomplish great things for God, I have to have that time of rest...of waiting...of anticipation.  We are a culture of immediate gratification.  We want what we want, when we want it.  Being forced to wait for something is difficult, but so important.  Because when we wait for it, it is so much sweeter.  That message works for someone waiting for a physical connection with a boyfriend/girlfriend, waiting for a new job, health to improve, and while waiting for an adoption.  See, we may not like Winter, but we need it.  Otherwise, we would never slow down enough to truly listen.  What are you learning through the Winter of your faith walk?  What passion is God growing in you that you hope to see come to life in the Spring?  Faith is required, my friend!  All the people around me that are counting down the days til Spring actually have Faith that Spring will arrive.  Do you have Faith that God will complete the work He is starting in you?  I do!  That is what keeps me going to appointments, and filling out paperwork.  Because I know that what God has started in us, will be for His glory.  So, hang onto Faith.  Grab a warm blanket, and I'll provide the cookies.  Soon the snow will melt, the sky will clear, the sun will shine, and Spring will return.  Until then, let's curl up on the Father's lap and let Him prepare us for the work that lies ahead! :)  And don't tell Hubby, but I cranked the thermostat up to 72 today! :)

3 comments:

  1. i enjoy how hopeful this entry is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU!! I want to come snuggle with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. That's a good way to see if Rod reads your blog.

    ReplyDelete