background

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Not your average Angelina Jolie!

You won't believe the comment I got from someone last weekend.  I will leave out some identifying details, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble.  But, someone actually called my family a herd!  Yes!  A HERD!  The comment came from a guy.  And he didn't really look like the kind of guy that liked kids.  But still...who says that?  Oh my.  As I walked away, I looked him dead in the eye and said, "Perhaps you can help us out.  We're trying to decide if we should have one more!"  Guess what he said.  "They have counselors for that!"  Woah, buddy!  Good thing my bladder isn't what it used to be and my varicose veins slow me down.  I might have to beat you with my ovaries.

Why are people threatened by big families?

I've also been called a baby hoarder.

And Angelina Jolie.  (I'm assuming it was the kids...pretty sure it wasn't the lips, _______, or legs)

An observation:
Every time I see Brangelina in the pages of People magazine.  (yes, that was a confession!)  I see them walking with their kids, eating ice cream, laughing, shopping.... I never see the pictures of the kids being rotten.  Why is that?

I was at Best Buy today picking up my new phone.  Apparently iPhones are not waterproof.  Who knew?  I had Es with me and it was about two hours past her naptime.  Things began well enough.  But, they moved quickly into a Kiefer Sutherland movie scene.  As I was trying so desperately to keep the calm "I've got it all together" face, my daughter was trying desperately to run away.  I've always been a bit of a freak when it comes to being in public with my kids.  My biggest nightmare is losing them.  So, I kept telling Es to stay close to me.  Side note:  Her "I don't know english....I can't be held responsible for disobeying you"thing is an act!  Girlfriend speaks better english than the boys these days.

As I was conversing with the nice gentleman from the store about my new phone etc etc etc...and people were ooohhhing and ahhhing over my sweet little Chinese baby, I was holding her tight.  Would you believe that all of my concern over her safety and well-being was repaid by a trip to fingernail town.  She scratched my neck and tried to bite me.  I'm pretty sure I looked like a ninja averting her scratches and bites.  Not sure who she morphed into.  But, it wasn't my sweet daughter.  Apparently her default setting is Chuck Norris!  Long story short, prayers were going up that I could keep my cool and love her through it.  God rewarded me by sending her into dreamland as soon as we were in the car.

All that to say;  there is NOTHING glamorous about adoption.  It is so incredibly messy and broken.  I wish celebrities/media wouldn't portray these kiddos as accessories.

I can think of about a thousand things that would have been easier than being a mom today.  But, my day was filled with trying to be consistent and teach a little girl how to be a daughter/sister/non-ninja.  And comfort my boys as thunder shook the house.  It was draining.  And it didn't end until fifteen minutes ago.  (after I grilled the teenager about who he was "crushing on"...and who was "crushing on" him.)  And now I get to go do their laundry and wash their dishes.  I'll grab some sleep and I'll do it all again tomorrow.  And I'll LOVE IT!  Because while parenting is the hardest thing I've ever done.  It is also the most amazing!  And insanely rewarding.

Look!
Four kids have learned that an orphan is more important than "stuff".


A little girl that came to us with no concept of prayer is now asking to pray at every meal.


And we got to watch God turn this:


Into THIS!



Parenting is a front row seat to faith, and love, and redemption, and change, and sacrifice, and joy.
Webster defines "herd" as this:  a number of animals of one kind kept together under human control.  Not exactly sure if the humans have control over the animals...but we sure are having fun!

2 comments:

  1. I love your herd! This post is hilarious. Maybe her bowing before flipping was a ninja move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...If you had a problem hoarding children, we'd have already had an intervention for you. Now, your extensive collection of legos....that we need to discuss! :)

    Some people have simply forgotten that big Catholic families exist. Heck one of our neighbors at the old place was #7 of 14!! 14 kids! Wait..I'll write that out...fourteen! That's XIV in Roman...wait...that actually doesn't invoke any kind of awe...so, that's 1110 in binary.....yeah, never mind.

    Look, point is, most folks complain about things they don't, themselves, understand. Part of the human condition. Here's the interesting thing....we also complain when we aren't happy.
    On a good day: One where at least 3 cups of coffee and a big breakfast are involved...and a kiss from my beautiful wife. On those days, if someone cuts me off on my commute to work, I say "you silly fool....stop driving like I do...bwahahahaha". And that's the end of the matter.

    On the days I wake up 15 minutes late because I worked all night....no time for coffee...I've yelled at my wife because I can't find my socks (I realize how stupid this sounds...yes)...no time to grab breakfast.
    Then....Somebody cuts in front of me on the highway, and then taps their brakes. I CHASE THEM DOWN THE ROAD! Honking....yelling. Then I get to the light of the exit ramp, roll down my window and prove to a stranger that I'm an absolutely horrid example of a human.

    Consider the source. They might just not be happy. Or they haven't been fed. Or they don't have someone in their lives, in which they can start their own child hording with. So, jealousy could be a factor too, I suppose.

    What I would have said to him:
    "Well...I am weapon X! Last time I checked, we still haven't mastered cloning....so how else we going to propagate the super-mutant race in time for the final showdown?! Duh!!!"

    If that doesn't invoke a reaction, I would call the source of the "herd" comment, a troublingly useless individual....I mean, who doesn't appreciate X-men references?!

    I love your herd with the entirety of my soul. And what this person will never understand is that your "herd" has 100% compliance when it comes to love, charity and grace.
    Just accept "herd" as a compliment....then the jokes on them.

    -Boom!

    ReplyDelete