background

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The long and short of it...

To all of the amazing friends that prayed for Es today...Thank you!!!

She did really well through the scan.  She handled the anesthesia well until she woke up and tried to beat me up for two hours.  Apparently she handles her stress by lashing out at me.  I can take it.  I feel much stronger than I did in China.  

We met with her neurosurgeon after the MRI.  These are the results (as I understand them)

Her official diagnosis is lipomeningocele.  

China did NOT operate on her spina bifida at all.  They simply closed the skin and didn't touch the defect at all.  Our doctor suspected this was the case...hence the MRI.  

Her spinal cord is abnormally long and is tethered to fatty tissue in her sacral area.  She has a neurogenic bladder  (which is why we will have to work to make her socially continent)  

If we did nothing, her cord would stretch and eventually she would lose all bowel and bladder function as well as the ability to walk.  Can you imagine what her future would have been like in China???  My heart won't even let me go there with my sweet precious baby.

So, our doctor is recommending surgery.  He will take out two bones, and separate the nerve roots from the fatty tissue.  He will also close up a sinus tract in that area.  (basically a tunnel between the fatty tissue that links her spinal cord to the surface of her skin.)  She is currently at an increased risk for meningitis and other bacterial infections through this opening.

She will always be "tethered."  All that means is that we will have to watch her closely for symptoms of nerve damage throughout her life (mainly during periods of growth)

That's the skinny on today.  I won't lie.  It was really stressful.  My dear friend, Joanna, came to the rescue and kept a feverish B today.  I'm so thankful!  Also thankful for the other wonderful offers that came our way to keep B.  

Now Hubby and I have to figure out when to schedule surgery.  Please pray for good timing and wisdom in this.  God has been so faithful.  I felt Him multiple times throughout the day.  

The bottom line is this:  
It is even more real to us than ever before that God loves orphans!  He chose a family for Es, pulled us out of our comfort zone and gave us the means to go after her.  It is redemption!  Pure redemption!  And our lives may be more complicated now than they were before adoption...but our lives are also more beautiful.  Forever thankful that God is taking us on this journey!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow- You would think that as a person with spinal cord injury, I would know a little bit about spina bifida. I know nothing! I will commit to praying for your darling through her surgery. I hope it is successful. But no matter what, she's part of the best family in the world. I'm so glad for the earthly redemption you guys have offered her. She is thriving in your love!

    ReplyDelete