"We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps."
This scripture is true!
Actually, I have to thank my husband for this scripture reference because he shared it with me on the way home from church tonight.
My plans today had me sitting in my hello kitty pajamas, playing with my kids, forgetting that myfitnesspal exists and maybe reading my book.
But the LORD determined my steps. And they were out of my comfort zone...and they were beautiful...and they were life-changing.
It all became clear on a dark and stormy night. No, seriously... :)
My parents came to visit today. And in their very sweet and generous way, they took us out to eat. While my husband and I were driving to the restaurant, we were deeply engrossed in a conversation about a young friend we know that is in a precarious predicament. The conversation followed that in this world, we will mess up. We will take God opportunities and throw them away for our own selfish choices. But, the bottom line is this: GOD LOVES PEOPLE! He loves them all! With an irrational love. So, what is our response? We are called to love them too! Even through their yuck!
Fast forward to lunch... We were seated in the restaurant and our waiter came to introduce himself. He was a man that many would judge immediately. His ways were effeminate and he just seemed frazzled and slightly desperate for approval. We were extra kind. I showed him my dazzling smile. I applauded his efforts even though he completely confused the order and everything was painfully slow. I could sense that he needed something that life wasn't giving him. He shared with us a physical ailment that was causing him to be "off his game". I smiled (once again gracing him with my pearly white-ish teeth) All the while, I was sitting so comfortably in my Christianity looking down at the world and the problems in it, just knowing that my great cheesy grin was the answer to it all.
Imagine the way my heart was caught in my throat when I saw the table next to us filled with two burly guys and their families reaching out to put their hands on OUR waiter and pray for him. Yes! You read that right. Right in the middle of a busy lunch time rush, God's people shut out the rush of the every day and shared Jesus with someone that clearly needed to know that there was a God and that God loved him! I felt small. I felt really small. We are Christ's hands and feet. We should always be asking..."is there something more I could do?"
Fast forward to evening...we were sitting in church, hearing a sermon about God's crazy irrational love. At then end, and just before prayer, a song was shared. In the middle of the song, something caught my eye. Two people from across the room were standing. My mind was racing. Who would be standing in the middle of a special? And WHY? As I looked out of the corner of my eye, I could see that it was two young people. As the awareness continued, something crazy happened in my heart. All I could see is a room FULL of people and my heart began asking, "Why isn't someone moving?" "Why isn't someone going to pray with them, to stand with them, to let them know that God is moving and it is normal to do the abnormal when the Holy Spirit shows up." My heart began to pound. I knew what was coming. God began speaking loudly to my soul. He had determined my steps throughout the day. He had shown me what an impact His people can have for HIS glory. So, with shaking knees, I got up and went around the room and joined these strangers. As our pastor prayed, I put my hand on the back of the young man. And prayed with them. I don't know their story. But, I don't need to. All I needed to do was pray...and BE PRESENT!
God could have left it at that.
But He didn't.
He let me meet these sweet people after the service and hug the boy that I prayed for. A connection was made. And I have the name of a boy that I will continue to lift up to God.
I am a super flawed person. I constantly miss the beautiful opportunities that God lays before me. But, tonight I saw it. God is real and He loves us all. There is nothing amazing about me...I just serve an amazing Savior. Tonight He reminded me that He pursues us with crazy love. I am incredibly grateful to know this love and I hope you have opened your heart to see it too! :)
Have a blessed night, friends.
Wow! This is great, my friend!! Thanks for sharing your day. Oh, and you had me with the smile.
ReplyDeleteOnce, a couple years ago, I was driving Old Troy Rd. going to Walmart for something that I'm sure I didn't need. I was making rounding that crazy corner....with of course, my phone to my ear. In my ear was my friend, asking if she could pray for me, right then. She then began praying for me. A mother who's world felt like it was closing in because I was raising a teenage daughter with flying hormones. That person on the other line was YOU.
ReplyDeleteYour Faith, encouragement, prayer has reached me too.
Don't you remember growing up in churches that did that? Bearing one another's burdens. That's what we are called to do. I think we all can learn from this moment witnessed at the restaurant. It moved me too. I will continue to pray for him! Thanks for sharing. I agree with JJ, your smile speaks volumns to me!! Love you.
ReplyDelete