background
Saturday, January 5, 2013
Belly Buttons and deep thoughts!
This is a picture of my daughter's belly! Why in the world am I posting a picture of my daughter's belly? Because we were playing around last night and I was tickling her. Her shirt slipped up and I caught sight of her tiny little belly button. And it stopped me in my tracks. This, as you know, is the connection point between mother and child during pregnancy. This belly button is a perpetual reminder that my daughter was once connected to another woman. She received vital nutrients through this connection. At birth, it was cut. On a chilly day in November of 2010, it was severed forever. I will never know the woman that gave birth to my sweet, affectionate, funny little girl. I sometimes think I catch glimpses in the smiles, laughter, and jokes we get from Es.
I will never know the circumstances that prompted a mother to place her baby alone without any belongings at the edge of a field near a shed in the countryside of China. But my heart breaks for her. She is missing out. Why is the world so broken? Why does the term "orphan" exist?
My sweet baby girl is finally showing signs of deep attachment. She will often be heard saying over and over, "Essie and Mama! Essie and Mama!" It is almost like she needs to verbally confirm that we are, in fact, together. My response is always the same. "Essie and Mama FOREVER!"
As God continues to heal Essie's heart, I pray that He will grow mine. I pray that He will keep Essie's birth mom constantly on my heart and that I will be faithful to pray for her. After all, through this sweet baby girl that I call daughter, we are also linked!
Adoption may begin with brokenness, but God weaves a story of redemption. And it is beautiful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment