Tonight I sat down at the computer desk and noticed a huge mess of correction tape all over a small piece of paper. Whoever got their hands on the small plastic dispenser had some craft-time fun with it. The dispenser was broken and the correction tape was everywhere. As I tried, in vain, to fix it...I ended up covered in the white stuff myself.
My husband was passing by the room and he heard me say, "Who made this mess???" He came in, saw the project and called the three youngest boys in. (The oldest one was at a meeting and an unlikely candidate for the crime)
The three boys came in to the room with their poker faces on. If Mensa recruited based on the ability to sniff out trouble...these three would be top candidates. As Daddy began the interrogation, I was examining their angelic faces trying to read what was happening in those little minds. Were they working out their alibi? Or hashing out a story to throw a brother under the bus.
Finally, sensing that he was getting nowhere (and starting to talk loudly like people do when they are trying to get someone from a different Country to understand English by repeating the same phrase, only LOUDER)
Hubby pulled out the big one:
"Someone made a big mess with the correction tape and used it all up. If that person doesn't tell me the truth right now, you will all be in trouble and EVERYONE will get punished!!!!!"
Noodle and D-Dog latched on to the, "I don't even know what correction tape you are referring to" look. But, B...with crocodile tears in his eyes and a look of desperation yelled out, "I did it!"
"Why did you lie to us, B?" I asked. He just sat on the floor in a ball. He didn't answer. At this point, if you weren't distracted by the utter sadness on B's face, you would notice the other two slinking out of the room slowly. B's theme song was playing loudly ("Going down.....in a blaze of glory!") While the other two were dancing out the door to Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".
I finally asked B..."Did you make the mess and use up all the correction tape?" He started to cry and said, "No. I didn't even touch it." "Then why did you admit to it?" I asked.
" I said I did it because I didn't want my brothers to get punished too." He answered.
My heart started to hurt a little. 'Cause that's what Jesus did for me.
It feels a little more personal when I know that I was the one sneaking out the door avoiding certain death. And, He took my punishment for something He didn't do.
I gave B a hug and told him to please not cover for his delinquent brothers anymore. :)
I found the real culprit and had a discussion with him about not lying and letting someone else take the blame for his mistakes. And the guilty party was required to go get his velcro football wallet and fish out $3 so I could buy new correction tape.
All's well that ends well. (As they say) But, I am left with overwhelming gratitude tonight for the One that took my place.
Do you know Him?
I love this blog. What a great reminder! B I love you because of your tender heart!! You are amazing.
ReplyDeleteOkay, it's official. We'd like to reserve B for one of our daughters' future husbands. To be fair, he can pick which one he'd like.
ReplyDelete