It was recently brought to my attention that fundraising for adoption has a very negative vibe associated with it. To be clear, it wasn't anyone in my "real life". It was talked about on a message board. But, it made me wonder how many others hold that same view. I have to be honest. I sometimes get judgmental when people talk about their money woes, as they turn off their 500 inch TV screen and grab the coach purse on the way out to the Escalade. But, who wouldn't roll their eyes at that? That's just silly. But, what about our situation? Do people roll their eyes at us? Do they say behind our backs, "If they have to fundraise, they shouldn't be adding kids to their family! Don't they already have, like, 20 kids?" When we started this process, we had a whopping zero dollars to kick it off. But, we also have a God that loves orphans and wants them in homes. James 1:27 is another one of my favorite verses. It talks about caring for orphans and widows.
Throughout this $30,000 adventure, God has shown up in amazing ways. I've had some amazing friends that have donated money for some pictures. We've had dear friends send checks. And that tax refund has come in pretty handy. Last weekend, we had a massive garage sale. My dear friend, Sherri, allowed us to host it at her home. Several awesome people in our lives donated things to sell. Over the entire sale, we raised approximately $1,350 to go toward Es!
The next fundraiser on the horizon is a trivia night/dessert auction.
We have applied for grants, and we've cut our spending. All of this in an effort to go after one of God's little ones.
So, as I was reflecting on the fundraising controversy, I came to a very clear conclusion.
We live in a country of extreme wealth. Even the most modest of us are included in the top 5% of wealth in the world. And this won't sink in unless you've actually SEEN true poverty. It is out there!
So, do I feel guilty asking my "wealthy" friends (haha! I know you'll laugh at that one!) for fundraising help? I do not! I would never guilt or force. It is completely voluntary! I am grateful for the amazing people in my life that see it that way.
As I see it, if adoption was more affordable, more people would do it. So, let's take the stigma away from asking for help.
Throughout the fundraising weekend, when I would get tired, or hot, I would think of my sweet Esther sitting in an orphanage. Whatever I was doing, wasn't half as hard as what she was doing.
And if I'm not willing to go out on a limb and ask for help...what then? I can't leave it up to the people that have an extra $50,000 in the bank to adopt Esther! What if nobody goes after her. She will age out of an orphanage. She'll be the sad looking older child waiting for a family because too many people are freaked out about her special needs. Eventually she'll be out on her own and have no one.
OR
I could fundraise a little and let the fantastic people in my life gain some joy in helping to adopt this little girl and give her a family for life. She'll have four protective brothers and she'll never be alone again. We'll see the scars of her special needs and we'll know that every effort was worth her life.
I choose THAT! And hopefully, you would too! :)
So, this puts the issue to bed in my mind. Fundraising for adoption is ok. In fact, it is wonderful. Last week, I was incredibly blessed by the people that helped out. It had the added benefit of strengthening friendships and providing some serious laughs! And it put us $1350 closer to Esther! In fact, my mind is spinning a little right now. Because I'm already thinking of what we'll do when Es is home. Maybe annual fundraisers for other adoptive families...or something that would help others do what we're blessed enough to do. I'll have to keep praying about it.
Love to my peeps! Thanks for reading my crazy rants. :) Hope this is an awesome day!

I LOVE it!:) Couldn't agree more Jill! So sad that we already had obligations all day on Sat or I would have loved to help out! :) Can't wait until you guys have LOA and are one step closer to bringing Esther home!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for blogging this- it has been something I've struggled with as well! This year is our fourth year for a yard sale for adoption and I hope I'm not bugging my friends either. :) Ours probably won't be on such a large scale, heck we don't even have tables to put things on every year! lol But we're hoping it will add something to our new adoptive account. It's hard no knowing who it's for just yet. I'm so so glad you're one step closer to her. What a lucky family you all will be!
ReplyDeleteAdoption is so expensive, too expensive really. I have no issue with people fundraising to help get their child in their arms. We had saved some of my teaching salary for adoption, but it was truly the inheritance we received from Brian's grandfather's passing that allowed us to step in the right direction. I wish that large companies would underwrite adoptions for families. Thankfully you will receive (if it applies to international adoptions) and generous tax credit. I'm slowly working to get my own design and photography business up and running. If I get it together before Esther comes home I would love to auction off some of the canvases I make and give you the money.
ReplyDeleteGreat post....totally agree! Right in the same boat with you!!
ReplyDelete