background

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Dad

In honor of Father's Day, I decided that I would dedicate this blog post to my dad.  I know that as soon as it hits the world wide web, I'll get a call from my mom asking why I didn't blog about her on Mother's day. :)  Love you, mom!
My dad is an amazing man.  I am truly sorry for the rest of you that he is not your dad as well.  My earliest memories of my dad are ones of hard work, honesty, and serious love for family.  Farming is not for the faint of heart.  It requires hard physical labor and intense brains to boot.  I've watched him labor over the Earth only to sit and wait for the Heavens to water it...sometimes the wait was long.  I've watched him deal compassionately and always fairly with the men and women whose ground he cares for.  I've seen him go above and beyond with everything he does.  If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
He applied the same integrity to marriage and family.  I have always known how much he loves my mom.  They have walked the road of marriage for almost 40 years and they have been the influence that keeps me fighting hard for my own marriage.  My dad taught me how to drive a car and he gave me my first job walking beans.  Thanks for hiring all the super hot guys to work with us and for not making fun of me when I was sooooo obviously acting ridiculous.  My dad supported my mom in staying home with my brother and I throughout our childhood so we could cultivate the wonderful relationship we have today.  My dad taught me the importance of saving money and of giving to others.
As a teenager, I was a major drama queen.  I know some of those gray hairs have my name on them. :)  But, you taught me that I was not more important than anyone else and gave me perspective that has served me well in adulthood.
When we moved overseas, I got to know another side of you.  Most people think you are quiet.  They have no idea that you are wickedly funny.  They don't know that most of your emails to me during that period of my life kept me going and that I laughed and cried while reading them.
As each one of our children has been born, you have embraced them and loved them unconditionally...even when they load your truck CD player with quarters and track mud all over your new carpet.
In our 14 years of marriage, you have helped us move seven times.  Two of those have been to the same house.  :)  You always show up with your red truck and your strong arms and the cooler of food that mom has lovingly prepared and you never complain.  It doesn't matter that I am on my own now.  What does that really mean, anyway?  I've never been out of your thoughts or your concern.  I know you worry every time we are on the road.  I'd like to think it is because of the "other" guy...but I'm pretty sure it is MY driving you are actually worried about. haha
I'll never forget after the tornado when you showed up at the hospital.  You walked into the room and you looked at me and I knew what you were thinking.  You thought you were hiding it, but I could see that you were worried. Nothing has changed...I'm still your little girl.   You have always fought for me, supported me, and encouraged me.  And you have always been able to make me laugh.
It is with deep gratitude and love that I wish you a very happy Dad's day.  I love you, dad!
love, your daughter

1 comment:

  1. Upon hearing humans' proclamations and desires to not be anything like their parents...I often laugh. Then I'm sad. I would truly be honored to be mistaken for my parental units. They taught us a lot...they continue to. I believe completely in the power of a human soul....precisely because of the capabilities of our father and mother.

    Your words were beautiful, J-bean!
    Here's to you, Dad!

    -Boom

    ReplyDelete