background

Friday, December 17, 2010

Leaving behind the comfort zone...

Okay, first of all, I have to talk about the adoption.  We are SOOO excited that things are moving along.  We've been approved and reference letters have been requested.  I'm eagerly expecting a packet in the mail today that will get us started on our paper chase.  And...I'm also eagerly awaiting the email that confirms that we are, in fact, approved for the Country we've chosen as well as receiving access to our online book of everything.  :)  I am trying to keep the perspective that instead of a day of waiting...it is moving one day closer to our child.  If you believe in prayer, please pray with us for her.  There is a high probability that she has already been born and I can't stop thinking about her and praying for her...as well as our other kiddos.
Okay, so our newest adventure involves a kid from China as well.  But, this one is a boy and he is in College.  LOL.  We were asked to host a College student from the school Hubby and I met at during the Christmas holiday.  The College closes down and the students must leave.  One student was in need of a host home and they asked us.  I have to admit that I am a little nervous.  We pick him up tomorrow and we don't return him to the college until after the New Year.  My mind immediately went to all of our Christmas traditions and tried to insert a College Freshman from China with very few English skills and I had a hard time picturing it.  It will be different.  My immediate thought was...can't someone else do it?  But, this is where I am so thankful to have God in my heart and the Holy Spirit that guides.  Of course someone else could do it.  They could scramble together and try to find families that would be willing to split the time, or add him to a home that is already taking in a student.  But.......I felt so humbled and realized that I don't want to be the one declaring that the Inn is full and there is no room in my house or heart.  This is a great opportunity to serve someone this Christmas.  What a great chance to take the focus off of me and spend the time investing in someone that has no "home" here.  Moments like these are where the rubber meets the road for me.  Am I really who I say I am?  Am I a follower of Christ?  Would I do whatever He asked of me?  Our family is heading out on a great adventure over the next year.  How can I say I have room for a child in a year, but not a slightly older (lol) child right now.  I'm sure it will have its awkward moments.  I'm sure it will be a different kind of Christmas.  But, I know God will be in it.  I don't believe this student is a Christian, so this will be a cool opportunity for us to share God's love with him.  I have so much to learn.  I know there are many days that I don't get it right.  But I am so thankful for the perspective that the Holy Spirit gives me, and for the honor of being asked to serve.  So, is anyone else ready to jump out of their comfort zone this Christmas?  Do something crazy with me...or just come over at some point and spend some time meeting our newest friend.  I'll bake cookies.  :)  That should sweeten the deal.  And don't forget to spend some time thanking God for the great things in your life.  Your blessings might have come from someone else leaving their comfort zone to serve you!!

4 comments:

  1. :) I love what you are doing. God Bless you, and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christopher! I hope you have a Merry Christmas too. :) How are things for you? I'd love to hear what's going on in your life.
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. We want to come meet him! Question is, will you have room for us? We were hoping to spend Thursday, Dec. 30th with you. FB me and let's work out the details. Love your heart friend and your sercant leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo! Get your selves on over here!!! We have plenty of room. :) Let's talk details this week.

    ReplyDelete