background

Monday, December 27, 2010

Great Expectations

You could look at this picture and assume one of two things.  Either my children were taking a moment to soak in the quiet awe of a Christmas Eve fire, or...they were contemplating how badly Santa's butt would get burned sliding down *this* chimney.  :)  Actually, if you chose the first, you would be correct.  After a beautiful service at a nearby church, Hubby put a good ole Duraflame in the fireplace and we enjoyed the calm, quiet light of the fire.  There is something about this particular lighting that has a profound affect on my children.  We have been known to eat our dinner by candlelight on many occasions (so dark you can barely see what you're eating...serves a double purpose..mwahahaha).  On nights when we dine by candlelight, there is a wonderful ambiance.  I love to see my children in a different light.  There is a soft glow on each of their faces and they seem to share more about their day.  No one cuts in on a sibling's story...it is sweet.  So, I shouldn't have been surprised to glance over and see all of my children lined up in front of the fireplace that night.  Wouldn't it be amazing to know what was going on inside the mind of each sweet life.  They were absolutely silent. And I couldn't help but contemplate them.  They were designed by God...formed by God...pursued by God.  Each life holds so much potential.  And the weight of that hit me like bricks.  My role, my honor, my responsibility is to make sure that each of them is given a safe, encouraging place to grow into the men God created them to be.  Who will they be?  What will they do to change the world?  Each day, I have the awesome opportunity to teach them that they have so much to offer and that giving is better than receiving.  I get to show them daily by cleaning up their messes and wiping away their tears that there is a Father in Heaven that loves them more than anything and He sacrificed His greatest treasure for them.  He has great expectations for their lives...and so do I.  When I see these four amazing individuals, I feel blessed beyond measure.  I get a front row seat to the story of their lives.
  Do you look at the people around you with Great Expectations?  Do you see them the way God sees them? 
As we approach a new year, a fresh start, and, no doubt, some lofty resolutions...I want to challenge us to blow the roof off of what the world says is possible.  Have Great Expectations for yourself and those around you.  Jump off spiritual cliffs.  Take risks for God and make an eternal impact.  When God opens doors, walk through them with excitement and wonder...don't get tied to past choices, regrets, sadness, and fear...because God sees you as His beautiful creation...and He has great expectations for YOU.

1 comment:

  1. This post just melts my heart! I wish every mom in the world appreciated her children the way you do! You are so inspirational and you make me want to be a better mother. You have the abiltiy to look into the heart of each of your boys and see God's glorious work. They are so lucky to have you!

    By the way, don't you love the duraflame???

    ReplyDelete