As we navigate the adoption process, it is funny for me to see the way people react to our decision (and calling, if you will). I know that the person who made the comment mentioned in the title of this post didn't mean to hurt me. In fact, she probably thought it was funny. I am becoming more and more aware of the impact of my words. And I know that I've also said some "funny" comments to people that hurt them. But this question really made me reflect. Yes. By the world's standards, we do have enough children. As I told my husband last night...we deviated from the norm when we went past two children. It seems that our culture is so twisted that we really do judge people with large families. Hello, Duggars! We feel like it is unfair for children to have to share time, attention, possessions, bedrooms, etc... Before I go any farther... I must put a disclaimer up. I don't think every family in the world should have a million kids. If we were all running around having babies, and adopting them, who would run the Country...oh, wait...that's another topic, for another day! I believe God put in each of us a set of talents and abilities. He created us for a purpose. I have friends in the medical field that were called to dedicate their lives to that position so they could save lives. I have friends that are wonderful leaders. I believe God put them in that position to influence the world with integrity. Some are musically gifted, and they move the heart with lyrics and melody. I have friends that put their safety on the line daily so my family can enjoy our safety. I believe that God has created us to be such a diverse crowd so we could serve Him in many ways. Think of the people you know and the gifts and abilities that God has given them. Whether they know it or not, they are living out their purpose. And I would challenge you. Are you living out your life with excitement? With fervor? With courage? Do you look for opportunities to serve, and love and make an eternal impact? The following is one of my favorite scriptures. It is a challenge for me to swim against the current of pop-culture. It is what keeps me from going into debt to buy the latest and greatest techno gadgets. It is what keeps my furniture looking humble...and don't even get me started on our ghetto looking fridge that works better than any fridge we've ever used. It is found in Matthew 6:19-21:
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Have you ever read such convicting words?
I believe that God put me here to love and nurture. I may not do it perfectly every day, but I know that is my purpose. So, if i am living out my purpose and trying to raise children that know Him and follow Him as well as love others...how many children is enough? After all, the only thing we can take to Heaven are people. We are going out on a limb and bringing another child into our family to love. We are trusting in God who has more resources than we can imagine to bless our family of seven. :) I get chills typing that. My challenge to you is to do the same. No, you don't have to have more kids. :) But, whatever you do with your life, go out on a limb and trust God. He will not fail you. And when you do that, and you are excited and terrified at the same time, please tell me about it. I love hearing stories about God's amazing work in His people!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment