background

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hubby (and no turning back!)

Today is my husband's birthday.  There are no words to adequately express how much I love and admire him.  When I see our boys chasing each other, climbing trees, catching frogs, and filled with uncontainable laughter, I think of what he must have been like as a boy.  He is adventurous.  He loves climbing mountains, and he can't sit still.  Busy, busy, busy...but so content with life.  I often think about the night he asked me to marry him.  I knew I loved him madly... and seriously, people...have you seen him?  He's gorgeous!  But, the "fairy tale" to come was one that would be written so differently than what I'd imagined.  When I said yes, and he put the ring on my finger.  I felt excitement.  But, I also felt scared.  Have I mentioned that Hubby is adventurous?  This country girl that spent her entire life in the same town, was getting married to a man that had traveled the world, and was hungry for more.  But, I must have known, even then, that God would use this to change me in ways that I couldn't comprehend at the time.  You see, Hubby had been very open about his desire to move overseas and teach for a couple of years.  My dream of the big house and the picket fence crashed into his dream of a small flat in a crowded city after only a year of marriage.  That experience completely rocked my world and changed me in amazing ways.  I love my husband for that.  I love him for asking me to go, for holding my hand while I cried through roughly the first six months of homesickness, and for being my best friend through the five moves and four kids since then.  My husband is not content to live an ordinary life.  He loves God and he reaches out for God's hand even when he's standing on the edge of the mountain.  He would rather risk his reputation than risk being disobedient to God.  He is a terrific husband and a strong, loving dad to our children.  I have known him for 15 years.  He has been my husband for almost 14 of them.  We have had our great times and our definitely not-so-great times.  But I am secure in knowing that no matter what we experience, we'll do it together...holding onto each other tightly.  The day I said, "YES!" to his marriage proposal, I knew there was no turning back.  Even though the future was uncertain.  I was all in!  Today, we submitted the formal application for adoption.  We are in it financially, and there is no turning back.  Standing here, the future is uncertain.  What will the next year of our life look like?  Who is this new child we will be bringing into our family?  But, with God standing with us, we are all in!  And I am looking forward to the journey with this amazing man that God has blessed me with.  Happy Birthday Hubby!  And thanks for asking me to come with you on the adventures of your life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jill! This is so inspiring and I wish more couples could have this connection to eachother. God has certainly blessed you with a wonderful soulmate...Big hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete