background
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Shocking!
My home is filled with "envelope pushers" These people range in age from two to fourteen. I may not have them twerking on my kitchen table (yet) but they love to see how far they can take something before mom or dad shuts it down.
Enter Miley Cyrus. That girl is all anyone can talk about this week. Quite simply, I think we are giving her too much attention. What is the old adage? Even bad attention is attention...
Yes. I added one to the ticker when I googled the VMAs out of curiosity. I'm only human, people.
I'll tell you what I saw. I saw a girl trying to be shocking.
And that's all! She'll just be an archived story some day.
All of the parent groups getting worked up about her influence over our kids are wasting their time. Every generation has one of these. In my day, it was Madonna.
In my opinion, it requires a 15 minute talk...TOPS about how we shouldn't twerk in public with guys the same age as our dads. Or, you could take my route and just not have MTV in the house. I know...that is shocking too! ;)
In my opinion, THIS picture should be getting more attention.
Why isn't my facebook feed FILLED with blogposts about Syria? Why are we more concerned over a misguided girl than the murder of children?????? This is shocking to me. This breaks my heart! Our president is putting together a plan to deal with this social injustice. Do we realize what this means? I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend time talking with my children about how to make a difference in ways that count. My babies are waking up in a safe home, with plenty of food, security, and hope for their future. Not all children are so fortunate!
Can we stop talking about a silly girl with oversized teddy bears and focus on what really matters? People are DYING! Sweet little boys in soft pajamas were gassed to death as they slept. This is the stuff that should occupy our thoughts.
I think that instead of writing a "letter to Miley" I'll write a letter to the lost children of Syria.
I'll tell them that I'm sorry their lives were cut short. I'm sorry they will never go to college, or get married, or have kids of their own. I'm sorry that while I was sitting in comfort, they were becoming casualties of a fallen world.
There is a difference between silly and shocking. Do you see it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Nodded the whole time I read this.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jill. I admit...I also googled Miley yesterday. Gasp...I'm without MTV as well :)
ReplyDelete