background

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Jesus, love, and same sex marriage? Oh my!

While driving home from a trip a couple of weeks ago, I heard a great lesson from our pastor.  He was talking about how Jesus is "friend of sinners", and how we need to get "out of the salt shaker, and onto the meat." 
 The non-food translation is this: 

 Jesus has some expectations of us.  

If our lives have been changed, and we know it...we are supposed to share that love with the world.  We could easily stay in our safe little bubble and block MTV (what??? OK!  We can't afford cable.  Our kids eat too much food!)  Or, keep our kids from "those WORLDLY people." And only attend church functions with church people with church smiles, and church clothes.  Except...Jesus had a word for those people and it wasn't "homies."  It was Pharisees.  The problem with excluding yourself from the world is that you might start forgetting that you were the "world" too.  Judging others might get a little more comfortable.  And your heart might stop beating for people with broken hearts and empty places...and beat instead for  your own glory.

So, as soon as the teaching was over, I shut down the Metro App (No, i didn't get paid for that plug) and I opened up my messages.  I sent a text to our pastor's wife.  

"I was listening to Paul's message, and the thought hit me...if Jesus is friend of sinners, and I'm supposed to be salt to a decaying world...Would Jesus go to a gay wedding?" I simply asked.

Her response:  "You are the most random person I know!  That's why I love you.  But, Paul is sitting right here.  I asked him your question and he said...."

I know!  Right?  WHAT DID HE SAY?  Well, I'm sure if you ask him, he will give you the same answer he gave me.  But, since I didn't ask his permission to share...I'm conflicted on whether or not I should share it.  So I won't tell you what he said.  I will just say that he gave a one word response and it rhymes with "bless".

Let me stop you right there.  Before you start thinking we've all gone off the deep end and wondering how long it will be before my husband sees my blog and demands that I remove it and all the controversial content included...please hear this.

On Wednesday night, the church (that's the people, not the building) got together to collectively pray and remember what a sacrificial gift we were given through Jesus and the cross.  If you were there, you know that it was a very powerful night.  God was present.  And I had the best seat in the house.  I had the privilege of looking out at a sea of faces while we worshipped with complete abandon.  Do you know what I saw?  I saw beauty.  I saw a group of redeemed people.  I saw love, and acceptance, and love and grace.  I saw hands lifted in surrender, and praise, and gratefulness.  And did I mention LOVE?

I couldn't hold back tears while singing the words, "Oh praise the ONE who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead."

I was DEAD!  And now I'm beautifully alive.  All of the dark and broken parts of me found purpose when Jesus became my life.  I see things in a whole new way.  I don't see a same sex marriage debate.  I see people...that are completely loved by God.  I see that I have no room to stand in judgement because I was once the convicted.  When you remember your place in the courtroom, it humbles you.  And your heart starts to open up to the possibility that maybe...just maybe...you don't have to KNOW everything.  And that the only thing that is required of you is...love.  "Love your neighbor as yourself...unless they struggle with something that isn't Biblical."  NO.  It simply says "love your neighbor as yourself". (Matthew 22:36-40)

I feel a little silly now that I asked Paul that question.  Of course Jesus would go to a same sex wedding.  He would go because it would be an opportunity to shine light into darkness and share the love God has for His people.  He would go there in the same way he met a woman at the well, and kept adulterers from being stoned, and ate dinner with tax collectors, and on and on.

The better question is this:  Would someone in a same sex relationship come to my church.  Would they feel loved?  I sure hope the answer to that question is yes.  Because if its not yes, then you might not find Jesus there either.

Food for thought...


1 comment: