background
Thursday, August 15, 2013
The First Day of School Starts at WHAT time?
If you scroll down, you'll see that I've been MIA since June.
That's because I have five kids, people!
No, seriously...when all of my kids are home, I have to fight for computer time. I have four Minecraft addicts, and a husband that needs the computer at night for work.
It has been very loud here. Too loud. Four boys and one girl can crank out the noise. I would like to tell you that it has been seven shades of bliss all summer. But, if trophies were given out for most tattling, most whining, most instigating, and most avoiding work...I'd have to clear the mantle. It has been wonderful, and it has been hard. I have smiled and laughed at the jokes, interactions, and conversations. But, I have hidden in my closet to call AT&T.
Today was the first day of school in our district. I have two middle schoolers, two elementary kiddos and one babe still at home. I had a chalkboard ready this morning for a fantastic first day photo op.
Oldest child was up first. He was looking snazzy in his new V-neck tee and khaki shorts. "MOM! I don't have time for this. This is NOT COOL!" My reply? "SMILE...please...So I can scrapbook this someday when I get my crap together...and I'll remember that you were sweet and not snarly...'cause you'll be smiling."
He complied...mostly to shut me up.
Child two rolls out of bed and throws on the clean-ish athletic shorts in the corner and a basketball shirt. "Does this match?" he asks me. "Ummmm, sure...they are both in the sport category." It doesn't matter what color they are. "Come take your picture with the sign, please." "Uh, (insert half smile) why are you doing this?" he asked. "B.E.C.A.U.S.E! Everyone on facebook will have cute pictures of their kids going to the first day of school. I have to keep up the act that I've got it all together. Now pose!" Click! Done! Two down, two to go.
Except, the other two pictures didn't happen.
Between feeding child #2 and walking him to the bus, I had time for a 15 minute shower/get dressed/dry hair. After the bus drop off, I ran back to wake up kids # 3 and #4. Made breakfast, got them ready, made their lunches and calmed first day fears. Then I ran up to wake child #5, change her diaper, get her dressed, feed her and hit the car with three kids in tow.
The day continued on toward crazyville from there. I ended up returning from soccer practice tonight to a house full of people from our small group. As I walked through the kitchen, my laser like mom eyes landed on an item out of place. "A roll of paper towels and an ice pack can only mean one thing." In the hour I was gone, someone got hurt. I sat down next to my husband and asked with a weary sigh, "Who got hurt?" "Child #2...fell off the skateboard. His wrist hurts."
And just like that...The second day of school has hit a snag!
But. If you offered me another life, I wouldn't take it! I love being a mom and I love the chaos! I'm aware that people see my hot buttered mess and wonder how this machine keeps running. I literally have NO idea! But I can say one thing for sure. I am never bored. And my days are anything but monotonous. And I know that one day, my kids will be out of my house and I will LONG for these days.
Stay tuned for our next gameshow: Broken, Fractured or Sprained.
To be continued...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bwahaha laughed out loud at crazyville...I call my home here crazytown all the time!!! Thanks for the smiles!
ReplyDelete