I know! I know! I haven't even admitted this to my husband yet. But, my friend called me last night and I confessed to her that I had spent $60 on crap at Walgreens to beautify myself. Haircolor, hair products, eyeliner, mascara, brow pencil (seriously...what in the heck do I do with a brow pencil?) lip gloss. YIKES! I actually added up how much my quest for beauty costs me on a regular basis and I compared it to my husband's quest (haha) for handsome-ness. :) Since he gets by on a bottle of 2-in-1 shampoo from suave and a bar of Irish Spring...I'm guessing I spend more.
Am I alone in this? Or are there others out there? I am so discontent with the way I look. I'm already wishing my hair would grow 12 inches because I'm tired of super short hair. So, instead of black, I'm changing it to brown. (Confession: I actually contemplated blonde for a minute at Walgreens). And wait until you see my brows! Will you even notice that they look fuller? I'd better google this! I might end up looking like a Neanderthal.
When I found myself wishing that there was a way to photoshop myself in real life, I started to get slightly concerned.
Where does this come from?
Could it possibly be the 14,000 commercials on gym memberships and weight loss products I've seen since 12:01 January 1st? Or, is it the way I saw people staring at a beautiful girl at McDonalds and I want to look just like her? She had a Monroe...you know...the stud pierced above the lip. From birth, I had the real deal. I had a mole in the same location. Guess what. I had it removed. There was no way I could know that 30 years down the road, my mole would be in style! :)
Check out this truth from 1 Peter 3: 3-4
3 Whose adorning let it not be the outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing jewels of gold, or of putting on apparel;
4 but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in the incorruptible apparel of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
what does this mean? It means that it doesn't really matter what I do to the outside of my body. (although, some level of effort is done for the general public)
What matters is what is happening on the inside. What is my heart like?
So, I can't promise that I'll return all of the junk I bought. After all, this year has given me some grey! And I'm pretty darn interested in how a brow pencil will revolutionize my life.
But, before I slather myself with products, I'll spend some time in the word of God. I'll pray and ask God to make me more like Christ. I'll give this day over to Him and ask him to help me LOVE!
'Cause after all...if I look like a beauty queen and have the hair of a Pantene model but have not love...I am nothing!
Happy Wednesday, friends!
Thanks for the smile. You are beautiful on the inside and outside..without the crazy brow pencil. (And I have no advice on how in the world you would use that? You could draw mustaches on the kids while they are sleeping, and see if they even notice before heading off to school in the morning??! =) Mine wouldn't, because I'm pretty confident they have been skipping their morning tooth brushing (oh, yummy breath!)!! Augh, to be like a kid and not even LOOK in the mirror before walking out the door, how nice would THAT be!?!
ReplyDeleteBy the way..going to add your blog link to mine, so long as that's okay!..then I can find ya easier than FB posts that I seem to always miss! =)
I am at a total loss as to what to say! You looked awesome when you sang at church recently. as far as the hair color, I never touched mine until it started turning gray (I think my daughter changes her color every minute though). I could use an eyebrow pencil now that the color no longer penetrates the gray! But again as Erica stated "you are beautiful on the inside and outside". You do not need all that stuff just ask you boys!
ReplyDeleteCarrie Thorpe
u are beautiful!!! no matter what u look like its always the heart that takes the cake with u! i havent known u as long as some of these people but already i see past ur exterior (which is beautiful with or without a monroe!!! )save some money and go natural. ur hubby didnt marry u cause of the beauty store u hold in ur bathroom cabinet or the color of your hair .. it was cause u are a wonderful woman with a beautiful heart. your children love u for the awesome mom you are not the style of your hair or your soon to be neanderthal brows!!! look in the mirror and see past the exterior girl see what we see and u will be happy and well richer lol
ReplyDeleteYou are so dern cute. I color my hair because it is starting to gray. The real key to feeling old and unattractive is to raise three daughters who are young and beautiful. haha My husband claims he thinks I am pretty with or without the makeup and I really think he does. That reminds me I need to make him an eye appt.
ReplyDeleteI jest... Having Jesus in my heart is the best way to being beautiful. I know beauty comes from within but keeping paint on the old barn makes me feel better.
Oh Jill, Jill, Jill. What is going on? You need me.
ReplyDelete