background

Friday, October 21, 2011

Selective Grace

I'm singing a song this weekend at Metro and it has been haunting me.   Essentially, the song is about Grace.  It is about how none of us has fallen too far away to be saved.  "Just take the hand of grace, your sins have been replaced by something beautiful...you're not unreachable."  But pride is a big bad wolf in the Christian walk.  And I'm guilty of it from time to time.  It is easy for me to fight for the defenseless.  I can get on board when I hear about children dying of a disease they had nothing to do with.  Or, fight to save the orphans, etc...
But, (long pause) what about the people that are making conscious choices to sin?  What about the people that hurt me because of the hurt in their own lives?  Now, that. is. harder!  I find that my grace is pretty selective lately and I'm feeling really convicted about it.  The Bible says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  Romans 3:23.  So, I need to remember that this verse is referring to me too.  I may not make the same choices I once did when I was blind to the truth.  But, now that I know the truth...isn't it that much more shameful when I don't extend grace to everyone?
It scares me to think that I might be the one to say, "Jesus...why would you eat dinner with a wretched tax collector?"  "Jesus, don't you know that woman is sleeping with several men?", "Jesus, I can't believe you would associate with that guy!"  I can bravely read the Bible and cast judgement on the people that actually did that.  But...(even longer pause) would I have been one of them?
The bottom line is that God doesn't use people with selective grace.  He wants consistent...across the board grace.  He wants me to love the woman making a thousand bad choices the same as I love an orphan across the globe.
God, I am such a mess.  On my own, I am an epic failure.  Please take my life out of my hands.  Purify my heart and make me a vessel of your grace.  Let me reflect your love in everything I do today and let all of the glory go straight to you.  Break my heart for the broken.  Take away my callous attitude.  Remind me of what it felt like when I was drowning in sin and you pulled me up out of the darkness and into the light. Remind me that a poor attitude is sinful and that you expect more from me.  Thank you for your grace that covers all of my sin and that your mercies really are new every morning.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. My beautiful daughter, God is gently teaching you & teaching us. I pray everyday for His grace, I remember the moment He touched my life and changed a very bad temper (inherited by genes) in me thus changing my life. The change in that one moment is what changed the direction of my life. You are right, pride in an individual dedicated to Christ can be a weapon of discouragement to others. We must remember but for God's grace! Let us all pray that we can show His love to even those who are unlovely to us and remember that He died for them too.
    Thanks for the reminder!LOL

    ReplyDelete