Do you ever think about how many choices we make each day? Do we think about the consequences? We make the choice (difficult as it may be) to get out of bed each morning and face the day. We choose our breakfast. We choose our clothes. We choose how to greet our family members and how involved to get in their morning drama. We choose how many diet cokes to drink. (If my body is over 80% water, why do I need to drink more?) We choose how to spend our time and how to treat others and how much we invest in our jobs. In frustrating moments, we choose how to treat those around us. We choose our words, whether to exercise and what to make for dinner. Our day is filled with choices. And they define us.
Last night was really frustrating. Hubby called to tell me that Z's tennis tourney was cancelled and that he had gone to band instead. The bus would be stopping at the entrance to our subdivision at 4:15. I got the call at 4:10 and I was just getting ready to throw dinner together and put it in the oven with the potatoes. So, I ran out of the house and drove down to wait for the bus. 35 minutes later...I was still waiting. And fuming! I constantly feel like I don't have enough time for anything. During this busy season of our lives, I'm spending several afternoons helping in D-Dog's classroom. The kids get home from school and it is a chaotic mess of homework, (tears over homework), trying to get dinner finished by 4:45, finding all of the appropriate uniforms and rushing out the door for practices. AHHHHH. So, last night, the stress escalated. I raced back home to get my phone and tried to work on my chicken dinner. As soon as my hands were immersed in raw chicken, my phone started ringing. It was Z. "Hey, mom...I'm here." "AWESOME!" So, I went racing back down the road to pick him up...silently fuming that Hubby was nowhere to be found in my time of distress and I think I was just making incomprehensible exasperated sounds. I got Z in the car and raced back to my chicken. When hubby called on his way home, Z picked it up and I heard him say, "Dad, I think mom's really mad at you." :)
As I heard the garage door go up and I anticipated my husband's entrance through the door, I thought of all of the things I'd love to say. And they weren't pretty. But, in the time it would take to say "anger management" something stopped me. I have a choice. I don't have to fly off the handle at him. I could chalk it up to miscommunication. It really isn't anyone's fault. I have a choice. I get to decide how I handle it. This man just returned home from a stressful day. He worked hard. And after all...I'm just happy that I didn't lose him in the tornado.
So, I put a smile on my face and said, "wow...epic fail on communication." And we both laughed. We worked out our crazy schedule and amazingly found some time to hang out before bed.
So, what are the choices you'll face today?
Joshua 24:15 in the Bible issues a challenge....gives us a choice. "Choose this day whom you will serve........as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
That is one of my biggest choices today. Will I serve myself, or will I serve the Lord. Let this challenge your heart today and remember that even in the heat of the moment...you have a choice. :)
Have a fantastic day, blog friends.
Had a choice myself about how to handle something and I chose the harder "ask for help" rather than "drown on my own." Thanks for this!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jill! I needed that reminder! So glad to have met some awesome new friends here...especially you! Looking forward to parenting our China girls together :)
ReplyDelete