I was driving my car toward my hometown. I had achy legs, heavy eyes, and a crabby toddler with a vaccination induced fever. I had no time to make dinner, so I also had Papa John's pizza in the car. Instead of going straight home like I wanted to, I had to make a stop first. I had lamented to no less than five friends that I thought it was ridiculous that I was making this stop in the first place. I was filled with righteous indignation.
I followed my Google Maps voice to the correct address. It was on main street. So, of course, I had to park a few houses down from my destination. I hopped out of the car and yelled up to an elderly lady on the porch. Yes. This was the correct house.
My original plan was to pull quickly into the driveway, pop open my van, and unload the five heavy chairs and take off. I mean, who buys chairs at a garage sale in one town and then expects them to be delivered to their house in another town??? Did I mention that I was tired? I had been awake since 5am.
When I saw the lack of a driveway, and an elderly lady on the porch, I knew my plan would have to be adjusted. I sighed heavily, put on my super fake Christian smile, (you know…the one that says, "I sweat sunshine") and I began the task of carrying the chairs one at a time from my van down the street into the house of the intended.
My first thought was, "My pizza is getting cold." I know…I'm like the best person ever!
But, something happened as my legs carried me back and forth. I didn't exactly "HEAR" God's voice. And I don't want you to think I'm being super cheesy here. The best way to describe it, is to say that I had a thought and I knew it wasn't my own thought. I heard something in my mind. And I have known Jesus long enough to know that it was His voice.
"If you can't serve me with a willing heart when I ask you to deliver chairs using all the comfort and excess that I've given you…How in the world do you think you are going to be able to serve me in China?"
Oh, and for those of you that are keeping a tally…That is God-1, Jill-0. Turns out, the lady I delivered the chairs to is a foster mom. yeah…the depths of my selfishness really can run deep.
12 hours earlier
Don't you love it on movies and TV when they do that? You might have gotten stuck at the "Serve in China" part. So, I'm going to back up a little and tell you what that's about.A friend of mine went on a trip this summer to an orphanage in China. She partnered with an adoption agency so she was able to hold, feed, clean, love, and play for a solid week. She also had the opportunity to tell the stories of many of these remarkable children. This has been a powerful tool in advocating for these little ones. Those of you that know me well will understand that THIS is my heartbeat! This is what God has placed me on earth to do.
This same friend is leading a trip back to China next June. Several of us have signed up. Last weekend was our first fundraiser. We held a garage sale. That is how I ended up in the middle of a lesson on servanthood by the greatest servant leader this world has ever known.
Needless to say, my heart was humbled. As I drove home, I prayed a prayer of thankfulness for God's amazing grace and mercy. I thanked Him for the fact that he never gives up on me and that he speaks words of truth into my life. I am a better person because I have His guidance. Without him in my life, I would be a selfish mess and lack any direction at all. See, God doesn't guilt me. He teaches me. It was a simple question. If I can't serve Jesus in all of my comfort, how can I serve him when I leave my comfort zone behind?
Don't you just love your comfort zone? It really is….comfortable. :) But, nothing very exciting happens there.
I LOVE this scripture from Matthew 25:34-40
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[a] you were doing it to me!’
Friends, I don't need to hear any other words than this. I don't know about you, but any praise we gain here in life is meaningless when compared with this scripture. This is the purpose for our lives. We are meant to love and care for others. We are here to make a difference for "the least of these."
So, I am ecstatic and over the moon that I get to invite you to be part of this journey…this scripture.
So, I am ecstatic and over the moon that I get to invite you to be part of this journey…this scripture.
I need money.
Just kidding. Well, technically, I do need some financial support. The cost of the trip is $4,000. I am willing to work for it. Truly, that is part of the path. I'll take your picture, babysit your children, and possibly try to sell you some apples, candy, pizza, etc…
I also need some prayer. I know that mission trips usually come with a request for prayer.
But I have a specific prayer request. Will you pray that God prepares us (the whole team) even though I know that heart preparation can be painful. I want our souls to be ready to be broken and crushed for these sweet children without families. I want us to physically ache for their loneliness. I want our sleep to be interrupted until we have told every last story.
I also need some prayer. I know that mission trips usually come with a request for prayer.
But I have a specific prayer request. Will you pray that God prepares us (the whole team) even though I know that heart preparation can be painful. I want our souls to be ready to be broken and crushed for these sweet children without families. I want us to physically ache for their loneliness. I want our sleep to be interrupted until we have told every last story.
Just like Jesus was broken for our lives, I want to be broken for theirs.
Will you consider being part of something amazing with me?
Can you commit financially and prayerfully?
I can promise you that as I sit on an orphanage floor and hold the least of these, I will do it with your arms. I will kiss their sweaty heads with your lips. I will pray over them with your prayers. And I will be Jesus to them with YOUR help. Please do this with me. Please be part of it. It matters so much! And I will be delighted to hear Jesus speak the words of the scripture into your ears…"whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me. Come, you who are blessed by my Father."
My email is: jilliansfive@gmail.com If you want to join me in some way, please let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment