background

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How can you bring a child into this crazy world?



This was the question I heard multiple times immediately after the September 11th attacks.  Interestingly, I was also seven months pregnant at the time.  I understood the question, but I couldn't help but think, "ummm, give birth.  Cause this beast isn't staying in here forever!".

We all have our own memories of that day.  But, most of them are grounded in fear and sadness.  Too many innocent people died.  Too many lives were changed.  And none of us knew what was coming down the pike.

To be honest, I WAS afraid of bringing another child into a world where planes fly into buildings.  I mean, isn't it bad enough that I have to worry about cancer, and car accidents, and fires, and child molesters.  Now I have to worry about terrorists?????

It is easy to lose perspective.

And what about the lives that were shattered like fragile glass?  How do you pick up the pieces and move forward when you lose a loved one?  I wouldn't even dream of speaking about the path that many people were forced to travel on that day twelve years ago.

But I will speak to the original question.  How can I bring a child into this crazy world?  The past twelve years have provided me with the answer to that.  I eventually gave birth (amidst the fear and subsequent War that followed) to a healthy 9 lb, 9 oz baby boy.  He is a gentle giant.  He has eyes that light up a room, a smile that would melt the ice caps, and a heart that is unmatched.  He is smart, calm, athletic, and loving.

A couple of years ago, two of the boys were playing in the backyard when they were stung by wasps.  My gentle giant came running in to tell me what happened, and while I was screaming and spinning in circles...trying to remember the phone number for 911, I looked over and saw my sweet N!  He was on the couch with his head down and his hands tightly folded...praying!

I have seen him give up his favorite blanket to a brother whose own blankie didn't survive the tornado.  I've seen him fight for the underdog, stand up for what's right and most recently, walk a single mama and her babies out to the car in the rain after church.  There are no words for what I felt in my heart as I saw this now 5'4" young man hold the umbrella carefully over four precious lives.

The answer is:  THIS child adds beauty.  He adds beauty to a fallen and sinful and crazy world.  He makes it a better place.

I am fortunate to know so many more children just like him.  Four others live in my home.  They show me joy, they show me purpose, and they show me what true love looks like.

beauty in a crazy world...

1 comment:

  1. I am touched deeply by this blog. Life goes on & we continue to celebrate life. The gentle young "man" has the sweetest smile and he melts my heart. I have the privilege of being his Nana. God is great & so is the blessing He gives me through each of my grand"babies". We face each day knowing Christ, what a difference that makes!!! Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete