Today is a beautiful day. There is rain in the forecast, it will be chilly, and my house is a disaster! But, today is a beautiful day! This morning, I got a visit from my youngest little man. He is six and he still LOVES to snuggle me. I am already sad for the day that he doesn't want that anymore! He has written a book. Yes...my six year old beat me to it. :) Here is the first page:
It reads: (with corrected spelling) "Sometimes I am alone. Sometimes I am with people. I love my mom and dad and my brothers. I am glad that I have Jesus and God. I love you God and Jesus. I am glad that I have a life. I love having a life. Thank you for making me Jesus. Thank you for making my brothers Jesus. I really like them.
D-Dog is at a really wonderful age. Every day feels like a new discovery as more of his personality emerges. I am finding that there is something new to love about him constantly.
I have a friend that delivered her baby girl one month before D-Dog. During our pregnancies, we compared notes and I lamented that she would be finished with her pregnancy a whole month before me. Right after her daughter was born, she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. And she has been fighting ever since. The doctors told her initially that she wouldn't live to see her daughter's sixth birthday. So, every year that passes for our kiddos, I am reminded of her valiant efforts to beat this stupid cancer. Last year, our kids turned six. It was so significant in my mind because I knew every day she spent with her family was not "just another day." It was a gift. It was time that she was told she would never have. I have watched her live with purpose and intensity. The clock is ticking for all of us...but she did something with the urgency. Our babies will be turning seven this summer. And my heart hurts because I don't know if she will make it to see that occasion. She has fought a brave battle. But, her war is almost over. She is in hospice care for comfort as she fights through her last days.
She reminds me that we are not promised anything in this life. All of our promises lie within eternity. The only thing that really matters is what we do to show Jesus to the people around us. And I know that I'll be kickin' it in Heaven with my sweet friend someday.
My son said it best in his paper. "I am glad that I have a life. I love having a life." I wholeheartedly agree! And as I watch D-Dog grow up, I will commit to pray for my friend's daughter. As she hits milestones that her mama will not have the privilege of watching, I will pray for her. Life is so fragile. Please go out and live it well! If not for yourself...do it for my friend, Jenny...who would give anything for just one more rainy, chilly day with a disaster of a house, and the laughter of her husband and daughter!
This was my little man this morning. Is there anything more wonderful in the world than those eyes? :)

Beautiful... thanks Jill for the reminder. Sometimes we need a daily dose.
ReplyDelete