OK! I have talked about my dog before. He is a cute dog. A sweet dog. An adorable example of the canine race. But sometimes he makes me crazy. He constantly runs away. He sheds all over the house. He smells. He gets into the trash.
On his resumé, he can list the following:
Good things I've done: Helped the family find their way out after the tornado.
Bad things I've done: Everything else.
But for some reason...maybe its the eyes...we LOVE him! We adopted him from a rescue group and raised him through potty training, losing baby teeth, WORMS (YUCK!)
He will forever be part of our family. He will continue to sneak onto the bottom of the boys' beds at night. And today, he taught me a lesson.
I let him out this morning and he immediately found a squirrel to chase. Of course, like a scene from a cartoon chase, the squirrel ran up the tree toward safety.
And so he sits. And sits. And watches the tree with his neck craning upward. Nothing can distract him from the prize. The promise of doggy treats will not move him. A run, a walk, or any other opportunity to pee on the neighbor's mailboxes will not pull him away.
And it is here: In the early morning hours, that I am reminded of my own pursuit. And this beautiful scripture comes to mind from Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
God, please let me fix my eyes on you and not be distracted! Help my heart to break daily for the people that don't know your love. Take away the cynicism and doubts. I want to chase after you like Toby chases after a squirrel...same passion...more worthwhile prize!
Wait! You want to bark at Jesus from the base of a tree? ;)
ReplyDeleteActually I can relate to Toby. Every other week, my paycheck gets thrown up into a tree (aka the financial offices on the top floor). For a fortnight, I bark and nobody really listens...they just laugh and point at how stupid I am...and what I eventually sacrifice in order to earn said piece of paper. At the end of two weeks, it falls out of the tree, I pay bills and start the process over again.
There is a reason we relate to our animals. They mostly do things that end up being an allegory for some part of our existence. But they also roll over and play tug-o-war with ya, on occasion.
BOOM!!!