background

Monday, December 17, 2012

The things that really matter

We have all seen the news.  And I can guarantee that all of our thoughts are preoccupied and our hearts are broken over the tragic mess of Friday in NewTown Connecticut.  Every mom, dad, or grandparent that did school drop-off or loaded their kids on the bus was weighed down with some extra anxiety.  I had to keep my emotions in check this morning as I drove the kids to school.  "Don't show fear...don't show anxiety...and for pete's sake...don't embarrass them by screaming out...JUST KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU!" as they run inside the building.
But this is nothing new for me.  I have a confession:  The events at Sandy-Hook Elementary didn't begin a way of living and way of thinking for me.  It just reminded me why I do it.  And I know there are many of you out there that parent the same way.  So, this blog is a reminder of why we parent the way we do.

Christmas is approaching.  At my house, we are not talking about the latest and greatest gadgets.  We are not making Christmas lists.  My kids know that they will each be receiving three totally rockin' Christmas presents from us this year.  They will also be exchanging with each other and will be blessed enough to get presents from others that love them.  But, we are not going into debt. And we are not getting them everything (hmmmm, really anything) that they are asking for.  Now, I am completely aware that they may grow up and form families of their own someday and be heard saying, "When I was a kid, we only got three presents...so we're going to have a much better Christmas around here."  Although I hope they don't! :)

In my humble little opinion (and with a huge disclaimer that I'm a major hot mess and completely disorganized) I will share what my kids are actually getting for Christmas this year that does not come wrapped in a box.

Parents with a solid marriage.  No matter what the circumstances...Rodney and I will always make this thing work.  Because, we realize that people don't make marriages last...God does.

Siblings!  Because as we walked through the visitation line last night for a dear friend's mother,  I saw three siblings standing together with their grief.  I looked at my husband and said, "I'm so glad that our kids will have each other someday when we go "home".

LOVE.  I tell my kids that I love them EVERY DAY!  I hug them EVERY DAY!  I help them with their homework and I listen to their stories.  I laugh at their jokes and I cry when they're hurt.  I discipline them in love and always work to help them become the amazing people that God created them to be.

And the best gift we could ever give them as parents is jesus.  From the time they were babies, we've shared God's love and sacrifice with them.  Most of our lessons to them in life have been centered around making choices that help them love God and love Others.  We have actively participated as four of our five children closed their eyes and in small sweet voices, asked Jesus to be in charge of their lives.

We live in a sinful world.  God didn't turn his back on Connecticut and He doesn't turn His back on you.  This world was never going to be perfect.  We live out a measly few years here on Earth in the hopes that anything we do will help other people know God...know Christ and that it will transform their lives.

I pray that God doesn't ask me to give up my children.  It is a pain that I never want to know.

But as I drove them up to the doors of their elementary school this morning, I had a peace that passes all understanding!  Evil is present in the world...But so is God.  And God wins.  The end has already been written.  I have that peace!!  My children entered into their day covered in prayer, feeling secure and completely loved with God's promises and God's presence covering them.   As a believer, I have the hope and promise that while evil was storming the halls of an elementary building taking lives of tiny children...that God was also present taking those sweet babies home to be in His constant care.  I will pray for the families that lost loved ones.  But, my main prayer will be that they completely embrace God's love and see their sweet little children in Heaven someday.

This is how you snuggle with three people

No comments:

Post a Comment