So, Toby got out of his underground fence again. Seriously...this dog is gnawing on my last nerve! I am so tired of bathing this monstrosity because he got out and rolled in someone's poo. Hubby and I decided he had to go. I'm all out of patience for this dog.
On the way home from practice tonight, Hubby dropped the bomb on Z, our oldest. Z's response? Tears! And lots of them. Hubby tried to reason. He placed practicality on the table hoping our oldest would see that getting rid of the dog was the best plan.
When Hubby got home and Z was sobbing uncontrollably, I got mad at Hubby for sharing this monumental news before even I was ready. Truthfully, I had bathed Toby and he was shivering in the basement and looking at me with eyes the size of my house. Oh man! Where is that cuteness force field? I've always been a sucker for the puppy eyes...no matter who displays them.
Z couldn't go to sleep. He was crying so hard. We talked to him and told him we wouldn't make any quick decisions or moves. We'd shelve it and discuss it tomorrow. As Hubby and I made the rounds tonight to check on all of the kids, we found Z sleeping with his childhood stuffed puppy across his chest. Ahhh, knife to the heart! Z shared with us that since the tornado, Toby has made him feel safe. He reminded us of some pretty big fears he had post-tornado and how Toby sleeping next to his bed made him feel more secure.
So, that's it. Epic parenting/dog owner fail! Can we traumatize our child? I know I don't want to. But, I'll tell you this: If we keep this crazy pooch, Z is going to have to take the next bath duty!
My advice to all of you out there...save yourselves the drama...DON'T GET A DOG!!!
* Toby is on the oversized chair next to me in the office curled up and snoring softly.
**I hope to be curled up in bed and snoring softly in about five minutes!
Goodnight!
People sometimes tell me I need a dog...I just laugh and laugh and laugh.
ReplyDeletewe had to get rid of our dog when Nora was very young because he started biting. he ended up having to be put down because he couldn't adjust outside of our house. i cried for a week, he was my baby! dogs are a lot of drama, but they are also lots of fun too. i miss my Lego still.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. I have a love/hate relationship with our Bella. Why did we ever get a dog...I will never know. I can't stand her, but the thought of giving her up makes me cry. I just can't do it. I've posted that we needed a new home for her on FB, placed ads in classifieds, called a shelter, but I just can't let her part from our family. I asked Lia a few weeks ago what she thought about trying to find a new home for Bella. She says, " I think God wants us to learn something from her. He gave her to us for a reason.". Knife in the heart moment. Lol! Hang in there. They are a blessing in disguise.
ReplyDelete