Many of you know me personally. You know that my heart is often moved to action over social justice issues. I lose sleep over pregnant mamas sleeping on the streets, orphans without someone to hold them, and children dying worldwide because they don't have clean water. These are the things that break me daily. The education referendum is NOT one of these things. But please give me a minute to clarify my stand.
You know the facts. They have been collected from IL state websites and presented carefully. There are signs asking you to "VOTE YES" all over town. You have seen the deficit Illinois has carelessly handed to our schools. If you talk to an administrator (or share a house with one, like I do) you will learn that our school has done a really great (and very difficult) job of budgeting. We are actually in a better place than many area schools that have not been so miserly. But none of that moved me to vote yes.
The following is a list of "hopes" for my own five children and the children growing up in this community:
I hope for high quality teachers with experience and a bigger view of the world to choose our school and influence my tribe.
I hope that we will raise up a generation of students that will strive to end world hunger, domestic violence, poverty, and apathy because they are exposed to a well rounded education.
I hope that I won't need to send 37 birthday treats for my child's REALLY large classroom.
I hope that we will raise up a generation of students that will strive to end world hunger, domestic violence, poverty, and apathy because they are exposed to a well rounded education.
I hope that I won't need to send 37 birthday treats for my child's REALLY large classroom.
I hope to be free of worry because my middle schooler is being dropped off near my house instead of a mile away.
I hope that my "science loving" teenager will have the opportunity to stay in Robotics and principles of engineering classes to learn skills that will prepare him for a career that will improve our lives.
I hope that my "athlete" that checks edline DAILY to keep his grades up for sports, will have the chance to play 9th grade ball.
I hope that Model UN will exist for my tender hearted 10-year-old when he arrives in High School.
I hope that my "band kiddo" will have the chance to excel in marching band.
I hope that we will remain a better option than area schools because we offer things for ALL individual personalities.
I hope that my home will hold and even increase in value.
I hope that my neighbors will continue to be people that show up when a tornado rips off the roof of a house. (True story! Amazing neighborhood)
And I hope that on the evening of April 7th, I can look at my children and say, We live in a community that made a decision based on THEIR hopes for your future too!
You may vote with your head. You have so many facts to support a YES vote. But if you vote with your head AND your HEART, Please consider joining me in HOPING for our community to continue to grow and flourish because we support a quality, well rounded education.
I voted early this year. My vote was "YES" Please consider making your vote "YES" on April 7th (that's tomorrow, friends!)
Thanks!
-your neighbor with the amazing kids and unruly dog
Can I vote?? You convinced me.
ReplyDelete