background

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Price of Following Jesus


I've been robbed exactly three times in my life. The first one happened when I worked in a restaurant.  I was leaving after work for vacation and was carrying more money than anyone should carry when they leave their purse in a work locker.  The second time was three days after the birth of my second child.  Someone stole our car and drove it across the state where we were required to drive three hours and pay $75 to retrieve our busted up vehicle. On the third occasion, someone broke into my car, stole my credit card, and immediately bought $1,000 worth of electronics from Walmart.

I know what it feels like to be angry, and inconvenienced, and self-righteous!

The gospel is uncomplicated.

God made people.  Those people made sinful choices. They were separated from God and destined for death. God sent Jesus to take their sin to his death on the cross and God's people are given a second chance at forever life with God.

The gospel is uncomplicated. Discipleship is not. Following after Christ is where it gets hairy!

Salvation is Free! Following Jesus will wreck you!

Lately I've been following Jesus to the river front in St. Louis to an area with profanity spray painted all over the wall.  Jesus introduced me to prisoners and sex offenders. He made me love and care about people in really hard situations. He asked me to pray, and hug, and give out snickers bars. He's stolen my sleep away as I lie awake and think about these people that I know by name. Some of them have died. Some of them are neck deep in addictions.  Some are pregnant and living in shelters. Following Jesus has wrecked me.

But please don't celebrate me.

I'm only one of many, and there are far more incredible people than me.

I've seen a lot of beauty in my life. I've been on crisp cool mountain peaks and I've stood at the edge of the foaming ocean.  But nothing will ever be as beautiful as watching some of my Christian siblings break open their souls and give everything they have to show mercy, grace, and love. It is truly astounding.  I am learning so much by watching their humility drenched example.


Matthew 16:24-25
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

"Pick up your cross and follow me." Jesus was very clear about the sacrifice involved in being a disciple. He didn't say, "Pick up your lounge chair and follow me." I believe He chose the cross as the object we are asked to carry because He knew it would remind us of the burden and the blessing. The cross is the object that symbolizes our new life. How fitting that we would be asked to carry a symbol of new life out for the world to behold.  

What do you offer a dying world? 

Life! 

How do you offer life? 

You give yours away! 


No comments:

Post a Comment