background

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bigstuf

Nothing could have prepared me for the awesomeness of Bigstuf camp!  We were in Panama City Beach, Fl for one week.  The camp takes over a hotel right on the white sand beach for the entire summer.  And churches sign up for one of the eight weeks.  Our church took 200 teens and leaders to the camp this year.  My main impression is that this is what heaven will feel like.  We were surrounded by the beauty of the beach and we spent our days learning about God's love and singing the most beautiful songs.  We got to play in the ocean, build sand castles, have dance parties in our room, laugh, cry, and pray together.  It was surreal.

Our youth director is amazing.  I just have to say that.  I don't know how he handles all of the work on his plate.  He definitely does not have "regular" hours.  Teenagers don't operate on those hours.  But, he does it without complaint and seems to really love his job.  We are blessed!!!
He makes a habit of praying over the rooming situation and refuses to tell anyone their room assignment until we are in the parking lot about to check in.
I'm going to be honest.  I assumed I would end up with the girls I have been with for two years.  They are comfort to me.  I know them well.  I LIKE them. And for some crazy reason, they like me too.  We were all flashing smiles and crossing fingers hoping to be thrown together for the week.  But, as the names were read, all of the girls I know well were assigned to other rooms.  My heart started to pump harder.  "WAIT!  I don't have any of "MY" girls?"  What was our youth pastor doing?
As it turns out, I was given three girls fresh off graduation and one junior that has been to our youth group (fusion) a few times.  I got a little sweaty and started to panic!  They are looking at me like they've just been assigned to prison.  They don't know me at all...I'm guessing they didn't get the room assignment they were hoping for either.  Somehow I can't picture us holding hands and singing Kumbaya anytime soon.

Fast forward to the evening session.  The speaker started talking about the Israelites going into the promised land.  He spoke of their excitement at God's promises.  These people were stoked about what God had planned for them.  And, let's face it, God had built a reputation of faithfulness with this group. They were hanging onto some serious promises.  But, as they crossed the river, they looked ahead and saw....dum dum dum...Jericho!

Most of you know the story.  Joshua was leading the group.  They were a pretty sad looking army.  Joshua felt unqualified for the upcoming battle.  But, God gave him a solid plan.  POWERWALKING!
Joshua and the others were to basically powerwalk around Jericho for seven days blowing horns etc...and the walls would fall down.  If we step back a little, we have to acknowledge that the plan sounds a little flawed.  I mean, seriously, the battle plan was laughable.

Well, I was facing my own Jericho.  God had filled my heart with excitement about Bigstuf, and I had crossed the river, landed on the beach to face something that felt impossible for me.  But, God was using this to humble my heart and remind me that NOTHING good happens without HIM.  In that evening session, I put my pride at His feet and asked Him to take down the walls of Jericho.  I knew I didn't have anything to bring this particular group of girls.  But, God did.  And He was faithful!  The week was amazing.  Friendships were built.  People grew closer to Christ.  One of my girls was baptized, and recommitted her life to God.  My own personal Jericho fell...and it had nothing to do with me.  At the end of the week, I could see how God had put together the entire week because he has an insane love for these girls.  He covered every detail.  It was beautiful!  His crazy pursuit of their lives reminded me of the love He has for me.  And I am overwhelmed.

For those of you praying, THANK YOU!!!  For those of you that aren't sure if this "God thing" is for you, please let me assure you of something.  God works out the tiny details in your life to prove to you that He is there!  He shows up.  He is real.  And he wants the best life for you.  He wants joy for your life.

Bigstuf changed me.  It grew my faith.  And it strengthened relationships with some of the most amazing teenagers and leaders I've ever met!  I can't wait for next year!!!  And I'm even more excited about doing life with these crazy kids.

The girls in my room!

All the junior girls after one of them was baptized.

My sweet friend!  She has an amazing heart!!


1 comment:

  1. Those girls you had in your room used to like to have small group in the elevator at metro when they were in 7th grade....I love them too!!

    ReplyDelete