background

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

We have so much room for ACTIVITIES



I know I can't endorse the movie...it has a low morality rating.  But, this scene is stuck in my brain and it makes me laugh when i see it!  Will Ferrel's character has an obvious excitement over "activities"  And my mind ALWAYS goes to my husband during this scene.  My hubby LOVES activities.  He grew up on the global scene.  So, he was an expert at navigating international airports by the time he was five.  He isn't happy unless he is busy.  Therefore, it is difficult for him to truly relax.  I, on the other hand, love to chill.  I am happiest when we are sitting around having a snack and chatting about life.  I love being home.  I love game nights, movie nights, sleepovers with the youth group etc...  But, I'm not a lover of going out for activities.  Perhaps it is my hermit nature.  It might even be the five kids that I usually drag with me every time I leave the house.  But, it just sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.  No.  I'm not lazy.  I just see the work involved and the possible nightmare it could be if we fill the minivan and head out.  That's why my husband is the one always signing the kids up for football, basketball, scouts, band, piano, baseball, track, tennis, camps, etc...
They are lucky to have him.  They would be bored if I planned their lives.  Hubby planned a delightful family outing a few weeks ago to Shakespeare in the park.  It was awful.  The kids were loud, didn't understand the play at all, (what?  you speak Shakespearian at your home?)  And the two year old lost it completely when the snacks were gone.  Out of submission and all that is holy in marriage...I kept my mouth shut.  But, inwardly I was thinking,"this is why I hate activities!"
So, I am headed to pick up my second and third sons from camp this afternoon.  There is a sweet program ending the festivities at 4pm.  Hubby has grandly suggested that we pack up the whole herd and go to see an outdoor play tonight...after camp pick-up...after he finishes his work day...after I complete all the laundry...after his doctoral class.  Oh yeah...and let's take a picnic.  My first instinct..."WHAT?  ARE YOU CRAZY?"
But then I remind myself of the obvious.  My husband LOVES "activities".  He loves planning them, executing them, and he isn't even mad when it all falls apart.  Because, in his mind...at least we tried.  At least we set out on an adventure.  And truly...I want my kids to grow up under that influence.  I want them to attempt the seemingly impossible.  I want them to look chaos in the eye and say, "WE LOVE ACTIVITIES!  Even though I will be dreaming of reading my book, I will embrace the late night outing.  Because I am eternally grateful for my husband.  I am in love with his enthusiasm for life and adventure. And because I know that when  if things fall apart, he will help me carry everyone to the car and get the herd safely back home.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, I can SO relate to your emotions about outings/activities! Like you, I could be a hermit, a homebody, spending all week at home without blinking. I'd rather invite people over for dinner than plan a big excursion. Like his brother, my husband has a long list of places to go and see around the city, and every free Saturday we try to check another one off the list! In the end, I usually enjoy getting out, although I have spent my fair share of walking tours herding kids and can't remember much of what we were supposed to have seen. At least I'm grateful that when they hear we're going to a museum, my kids respond with enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete