background

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abortion Holocaust?

I just read something on facebook today that broke my heart.  Apparently, there is a war of words between daddy Duggar (yes...the one with 19 kids) and pro-choice groups.
Allegedly, Mr. Duggar referred to the high numbers of abortions as an abortion holocaust.

Unless we've been sheltered from history, we all know that "Holocaust" typically refers to the Jewish Holocaust during WWII.  During this incredibly sad period of time, under the abominable leadership of Hitler, many Jews were forced to live in hiding until they were found and taken to work camps and murdered.  This was a violent ripping apart of family units.  The Nazis were not respecters of gender or age.  Young and old, male and female, were targeted.  I cry when I allow myself to think of the fear they endured.

Hearing abortion linked with the word Holocaust could make sense as semantics go.  The dictionary defines a holocaust as, "a mass slaughter of people".  And babies are people.  So, it would logically follow that the mass slaughter of babies is, in fact, an Abortion Holocaust.

However,

I feel like a little bit of a broken record here...any maybe everyone is tired of my views.  But here they are anyway...;)

 I am a supporter of LIFE.  My heart hurts over the brokenness of abortion.  And I will tell everyone that listens that I support LIFE.  I have put myself in several situations that make it obvious that I support LIFE.  However, if I had a platform (like the Duggars do) I would NEVER throw out language like "abortion holocaust" Abortion is born out of sin and darkness.  It is believing the lie that ending a pregnancy is an easy fix without lingering emotional and physical pain.  But there are better ways to support LIFE than to throw out judgements.  That's why people dislike christians.  That's why the "world" doesn't want to talk to us when they face unplanned pregnancies like these.  Would you share your brokenness with someone calling you a murderer?  Do we want to be part of helping someone make a healthy choice for their body, heart, and soul?  Then, we can't stand ABOVE them and think we'll have an impact.  I'm so insanely tired of the self-righteous approach to this issue.

When my kids are doing something I don't agree with, how do I handle it?  Do I stand in another part of the house and scream, "YOU ARE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE!!!"  NO!  That would not be part of my parenting package.  Instead, I go to where my children are.  I walk to them.  I don't yell at them to come to me.  I kneel down in front of them so my eyes are a little lower than theirs.  Isn't that the posture of someone in trouble?  Aren't their eyes cast downward?  I want them to see me.  I want them to know that my truth comes with heavy doses of love and expectation.

How can we impact the world unless we go to them.  How can we show Jesus unless we lower ourselves.  We are all broken and sinful people.  Some of us have had the complete fortune of knowing God's grace.  That's the only difference between us.  We certainly didn't get there on our own.  So, why in the world would we try to SHAME them with negative language?  Abortion is a choice made by broken people in awful situations.  It is not okay.  It is not an answer.  But, for the love of all that is Holy, can we agree that anything other than Love is a waste of time.  The lost and lonely can argue and find fault with everything else.  But when we approach them with love, well... I'm gonna throw it back to Jesus on this one.

1 Corinthians 13:13
"Three things will last forever-- faith, hope, and love-- and the greatest of these is LOVE!

Is anybody with me???

1 comment: